Looking for affordable, portable, closed <$300 headphones
May 27, 2015 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Elkdaddy

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody,

I'm looking for headphones like stated in the title of the thread. I watch a lot of movies and listen to a wide range of music from rock to classical to rap to folk, etc. I'd like a pair that doesn't need an amp. From the bit of research I've done, it seems like the Sennheiser Amperior and the Beyerdynamic t51i are the two I should really be looking at, but I'm totally open to other suggestions and thoughts. What does everybody think?

Thanks!

May 27, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 8
If you will be having the headphones on your head for hours on end, I do not recommend on-ears like the Amperior or the t51i. They may be portable, but the pressure on your auricles can get uncomfortable and even painful after a while.

I have owned both the HD25-1 II and the t51p. From those two I'd say the t51p has a bit more mid-bass emphasis, but it has much better bass texture and the treble is better in every way. They are also much more comfortable than the HD25. I still use and like the t51p very much, but I wouldn't recommend them for listening sessions of more than 1.5 hours.

How portable do your headphones need to be? If it's not a very big point, you might want to consider the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 or the older generation of the Sennheiser Momentums. The Momentums have relatively small ear cups, so ears that are larger than average might be pressed down by the foam causing comfort issues similar to the on-ears, albeit to a lesser extent.

If the long term comfort is not an issue for you, I recommend the t51i.

May 27, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 8
They definitely need to be very portable. I walk around with headphones on almost every day. I also fly fairly often and use them on flights. My last pair were the Audio Technica ESW9's, and there was definitely a bit of pressure on my ears after a couple of hours, but nothing brutal. Do the t51i's have even more pressure than those?

I know that I sacrifice sound for on-ear, but I just love the portability. Is there another highly portable pair that you'd recommend more than the t51i's?

May 27, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 8
They definitely need to be very portable. I walk around with headphones on almost every day. I also fly fairly often and use them on flights. My last pair were the Audio Technica ESW9's, and there was definitely a bit of pressure on my ears after a couple of hours, but nothing brutal. Do the t51i's have even more pressure than those?

I know that I sacrifice sound for on-ear, but I just love the portability. Is there another highly portable pair that you'd recommend more than the t51i's?

Maybe V-Moda's? The M80's are $80 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I9UKKS0). I listen to my M80's more than my 1350's.
The XS's are $200 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GO4GMAI).

This is a thread worth looking at to get a lot of info in one place
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-25-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

May 27, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 8
You are not sacrificing much of the sound quality if you get the t51i. They are some of the best sounding portable headphones in my opinion.

I also did some equalizing with my t51p on my home set up even though I never use the t51p at home; it was just out of curiosity. The result was very impressive! Still, I wouldn't use the same EQ on the go because ambient noise tends to drown out the lower frequencies despite the very good isolation that the t51p/i provide.

The t51p are the second most comfortable on-ears I know and I have tried many on-ears. The memory foam does wonders. If you had no problems with the ESW9's, I don't expect the comfort of the t51p to be a problem either. The only on-ears I find more comfortable are the KEF M500, but sonically those are a step down in my opinion.

May 27, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 8
I very much enjoy my Focal Spirit One S. Not much discussed about them around here and imo quite under-rated.

The T51p is a good option as well I had a good hour long audition of them but honestly I still like my FSOS better. The t51p had a much too thick low end for my liking.

Good luck on your search!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back