Looking for advice on some closed headphones for the office
Oct 26, 2016 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ramenmeal

100+ Head-Fier
Hey All, 

Looking for some new cans for the office. That means closed over-ears headphones. I honestly don't know anything about the closed headphone market.  

Budget: under $250, can stretch it if it's worth it. 

I hate genre's so here's some groups I listen to... Porter Robinson, Jamie XX, NIN, Of Monsters of Men, and a bunch of ****ty pop music, occasional Kanye West. 

As far as sound signature, I'm looking for something warmer. Definitely don't want something "bright" and I'm wary of anything V shaped, I'm sensitive to treble. I love tight, accentuated bass and some punch mids and powerful vocals. 

I'm not too worried about isolation (but it's definitely a plus), but I can't have any sound leak.

Looking for something that won't make me look like a d-bag at work. They can be ugly, but nothing ridiculous. 

Here's what I've found and am considering:

• Momentum 2.0 over ear
  • Beyerdynamics dt 770 250ohm 
  • Meze 99 Classics - a bit expensive but I like how they can be disassembled. 
  • Fostex TH-X00 if I get lucky in the for sale section. 

I will be pairing these with a combo amp/dac, undecided what yet. It will be relatively cheap (under $150). 

Any advice on which I'd like? Any cans I'm missing that I should be considering?

Thanks!

PS: my current set up is hd555's and klipsch x10 iem's to my computers built in headphone jack. 

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 4
  Looking for some new cans for the office. That means closed over-ears headphones. I honestly don't know anything about the closed headphone market.  
I hate genre's so here's some groups I listen to... Porter Robinson, Jamie XX, NIN, Of Monsters of Men, and a bunch of ****ty pop music, occasional Kanye West. 
As far as sound signature, I'm looking for something warmer. Definitely don't want something "bright" and I'm wary of anything V shaped, I'm sensitive to treble. I love tight, accentuated bass and some punch mids and powerful vocals. 
I'm not too worried about isolation (but it's definitely a plus), but I can't have any sound leak.
Looking for something that won't make me look like a d-bag at work. They can be ugly, but nothing ridiculous. 
Momentum 2.0 over ear
Beyerdynamics dt 770 250ohm 
Meze 99 Classics - a bit expensive but I like how they can be disassembled. 
Fostex TH-X00 if I get lucky in the for sale section. 
I will be pairing these with a combo amp/dac, undecided what yet. It will be relatively cheap (under $150). 
Any advice on which I'd like? Any cans I'm missing that I should be considering?

Soundmagic HP150 closed headphones.
FiiO Q1 USB-DAC/head.
Might be able to get both for around $200.

The HP150 are V shaped, but still a good over all sound.

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 4
  Hey All, 

• Momentum 2.0 over ear
  • Beyerdynamics dt 770 250ohm 
  • Meze 99 Classics - a bit expensive but I like how they can be disassembled. 
  • Fostex TH-X00 if I get lucky in the for sale section. 

Thanks!

PS: my current set up is hd555's and klipsch x10 iem's to my computers built in headphone jack. 

Configure an AiAiAi TMA-2 on their webpage and then drive it with a Fiio Q1. As long as you won't upgrade to anything hard to drive that's good enough for a very efficient circumaural headphone.

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 4

Soundmagic HP150 closed headphones.
FiiO Q1 USB-DAC/head.
Might be able to get both for around $200.

The HP150 are V shaped, but still a good over all sound.

I have some research to do on these.

Do you think bumping up my budget to around 300 would be worth it? Seems like a gap in this area for closed headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back