Looking for advice on new headphone purchase
Nov 7, 2012 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

zclgb29

New Head-Fier
Hello, 

I've been browsing the forum and I thought someone might be able to give me some advice.

I'm looking for a set of headphones for around £80 ($100) for use on my daily commute to work.  I'm probably looking for over-ear rather than in ear due to personal comfort preference, and mainly for use listening to music.

I'd like something with a good build quality, not too big, decent isolation and low leakage for use on trains etc., and with good sound quality.  Sound quality probably the main concern for me coupled with noise isolation/cancelling, but would have to be small-ish too!

Obviously, it's going to be a bit of a compromise for my budget, but at this price, what would you say are the best headphones around?

Really appreciate any help that you can give to help me to decide.

Thanks!

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 21
What type of music do you listen to?

When I think of isolation and portability for under $100 without knowing what music you listen to I think the Sennheiser HD280 or the Phillips Citiscape Downtown

The Phillips are on ear and have a smaller form factor with a smaller cable but the Sennheiser are larger can be folded up. Both isolate well.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #4 of 21
Thanks for the advice - the Downtowns look quite nice and there seem to be some good reviews out there for these.

My music is generally folky and softer rock stuff like - Arcade Fire, Beatles, Elliott Smith, Death Cab, Bob Dylan, MGMT, White Stripes etc.  So nothing too basey I guess?  

Would this affect the decision?  Thanks again for the tips!  

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:
Hello, 

I've been browsing the forum and I thought someone might be able to give me some advice.

I'm looking for a set of headphones for around £80 ($100) for use on my daily commute to work.  I'm probably looking for over-ear rather than in ear due to personal comfort preference, and mainly for use listening to music.

I'd like something with a good build quality, not too big, decent isolation and low leakage for use on trains etc., and with good sound quality.  Sound quality probably the main concern for me coupled with noise isolation/cancelling, but would have to be small-ish too!

Obviously, it's going to be a bit of a compromise for my budget, but at this price, what would you say are the best headphones around?

Really appreciate any help that you can give to help me to decide.

Thanks!

Heya,

Brainwavz HM5; get it at MP4nation.net

Very best,

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Heya,

Brainwavz HM5; get it at MP4nation.net

Very best,

Thanks for the help, but these look a tad bigger than I was looking for - I'm based in London and I'd feel a bit self conscious wearing those on the tube! 

Is it worth me looking at Noise Cancelling?  I'll be using them in really noisy travel conditions - would I need to up my budget for noise cancelling headphones, and if so would it be worth the extra cash?

That aside, I'm very much leaning towards the Downtowns, if there's nothing else that anyone recommends.  There seem to be a couple of different versions of these; Supertoaster, I presume it was these ones you recommend?   http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SHL5905BK-10-CitiScape-Headphone/dp/B0077860BG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1352422167&sr=8-5

I'll go for these in the next few days unless anyone has any other ideas, or advice on noise-cancelling phones.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys, really helpful of you.

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 21
Heya,

The Uptowns are nice, but I will warn you now that the cable is an absolute crime. It's short, flimsy, and will be the first issue you'll ever have with the headphone. I have two pairs of Uptowns, and the cable just floors me every single time.

If you up your budget a touch you can get into some really nice headphones with everything you're looking for.

That said, for your price range, there's nothing worth considering that is truly "noise canceling."

Very best,

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
Heya,

The Uptowns are nice, but I will warn you now that the cable is an absolute crime. It's short, flimsy, and will be the first issue you'll ever have with the headphone. I have two pairs of Uptowns, and the cable just floors me every single time.

If you up your budget a touch you can get into some really nice headphones with everything you're looking for.

That said, for your price range, there's nothing worth considering that is truly "noise canceling."

Very best,

Cool - what would you recommend if I upped my budget a bit?

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Heya,

Shure SRH840
Ultrasone HFI 780
Sennheiser HD380 PRO
Sony MDRZX700
KRK KNS 6400 & 8400

Very best,

Wow, thanks for the fast response. I'll have a look through those - the Sonys there seem like good value, and I had a brief look at the Sennheiser HD380 PRO's a little while ago.

One last question - is there any reason I shouldn't go for the Audio Technica ATH-M50's?  These seem to get amazing reviews, and seem to be in budget - anything wrong with these for my needs?

Thanks again!

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Wow, thanks for the fast response. I'll have a look through those - the Sonys there seem like good value, and I had a brief look at the Sennheiser HD380 PRO's a little while ago.

One last question - is there any reason I shouldn't go for the Audio Technica ATH-M50's?  These seem to get amazing reviews, and seem to be in budget - anything wrong with these for my needs?

Thanks again!

Heya,

The M50 is one of the most overhyped headphones. It's worth about $80 to me in terms of value and that is mostly due to it's build quality, not it's sonic properties. It's just a DJ marketed/styled headphone that some how has gotten legendary status for no good reason. It's just a medicore headphone with a meteoric reputation and a heightened price tag to suite, but the value is simply not there. I say that as an owner of the M50. The above headphones, for example, are each a reason to not go for the M50. And there are near countless others (ok, you could count them all...).

Very best,

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Heya,

The M50 is one of the most overhyped headphones. It's worth about $80 to me in terms of value and that is mostly due to it's build quality, not it's sonic properties. It's just a DJ marketed/styled headphone that some how has gotten legendary status for no good reason. It's just a medicore headphone with a meteoric reputation and a heightened price tag to suite, but the value is simply not there. I say that as an owner of the M50. The above headphones, for example, are each a reason to not go for the M50. And there are near countless others (ok, you could count them all...).

Very best,

Fair enough!  I just saw that the Sony MDR ZX700's are only £50 on uk amazon - so well witihin budget - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDRZX700-Headband-Headphones-Isolation/dp/B004MPQ82S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352426046&sr=1-1

You mentioned increasing budget - were you expecting these to be more, and if so, is this a rather good deal offered by amazon?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out.

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #15 of 21
Superlux hd660, dont take any notice that im selling a set (i have 2 and am keeping one), they are absolutley brilliant and have caused me to dispatch a ton of gear, combine these with some aftermarket pads for an extra £10 and I cant think of anything better for under £100.   The will last forever and and are tuned to perfection for indie and rock style music.

Seriously ignore the fact that im selling just buy a pair even from somewhere else, I think thoman.de have them as well.

review here 

http://www.headphiles.org/index.php?topic=3771.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back