looking for advice for sleeping iem in the $100 range
Aug 8, 2011 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Arioch77

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Been using ATH-AD700 for some years now, which were my first "real" headphone, and love them.

But now I need something to use in while sleeping ( i sleep on the side ) / commuting, so I've decided to invest in some iem (first pair).

budget: max 70€/$100 (preferably less)
source: Iriver T30 / Sansa clip+ / portable computer
no amp

I am eclectic, to be more presice I listen mainly rock/metal but also to classical music / jazz / and some electronic, rap and rnb. And want to use these to view ( well listen to... ) movies and some video games.

I made some research and people seems to point to sound magic pl50, comfortable enought to sleep and an signature that is described as to be similar to what I hear in the ad700 (analytical, soundstage , no very bassy etc... but correct me if I am wrong...) and MEElectronics A151 (same sound signature as the pl50) ,but I could use some advices.

So what IEM would you guys reccomend?

Thanks in advance.

And sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother tongue.

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 32
28 views and 0 comments?

Come on guys, please i need some recommendation!:)

Aug 9, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 32
The new Shure design is extremely comfortable, has a wonderful build (including replaceable cables), and is backed by a 2 year warranty (if you buy from an authorised supplier).

I have often fallen asleep with my SE425's.

In your price range, check the SE215s.  There are plenty of reviews on this site if you need more info.

Aug 9, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 32
Thanks to both of you for answering.

If you are looking for something to sleep with, you should definitely not drop $100 on earphones because you can easily break them. They are only only 40 bucks ...

Well, that's what i would pay for the pl50, cause i'll use a gift card that i have no other useif not for this order. :D

The new Shure design is extremely comfortable, has a wonderful build (including replaceable cables), and is backed by a 2 year warranty (if you buy from an authorised supplier).

I have often fallen asleep with my SE425's.

In your price range, check the SE215s.  There are plenty of reviews on this site if you need more info.

After looking at some reviews, i don't really like the idea of replaceable cables (the system look hum somewhat frail).

But thanks for the answers.

Aug 9, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 32

Quote:
Thanks to both of you for answering.

After looking at some reviews, i don't really like the idea of replaceable cables (the system look hum somewhat frail).

But thanks for the answers.

No problem - your call.  The new build of Shure's SE line is one of the most solid builds I've experienced.  Personally I prefer replaceable cables - so if you have issues with a cable, you can replace it rather than the whole IEM.

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 32
I vote for the PL-50s.

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 32
No problem - your call.  The new build of Shure's SE line is one of the most solid builds I've experienced.  Personally I prefer replaceable cables - so if you have issues with a cable, you can replace it rather than the whole IEM.

I'll reflect on that, thanks.

I vote for the PL-50s.

Thanks for your answer. that's the iem i seen recommend for sleeping, so they were already tempting me. :)

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 32
westone 1..lies almost complete flat when inserted and very comfortable. very easy to fall asleep with these on.

Thanks for answering.
Well, a bit over what i could afford. but if i can afford more i'll keep these in mind

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #12 of 32

Yes $100 but amazon.com won't ship these to France, and on amazon france ( as well as on other site that ship to france or are based in france ) it will cost me ~$150 ( ~99€, thanksto the crappy commercial conversions rate $1=1€ ).
Already had this probleme issue with amazon.com when ordering my ath ad700.

PL-50? I can't recommend it, personally I thought it's a bit dull sounding, but that's just me.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm $100.

have you checked ljokerl's multi-iem review thread btw?

I vote, perhaps, the RE-Zero.

yeah, i checked the multi-iem review, where i looked for the iem getting 5/5 in comfort ( well 4.5 for the a151 ) and the only one within my price were the pl50.

are the RE-Zero comfortable enough to sleep ?

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #14 of 32
www.viaddress.com

p.s. do you really have to sleep in them?

Thank for the link, used another site like that to buy the ad700, but with their price + customs the westone will be pricier than buying it on amazon.fr :mad:.

And yeah, really noisy neighbors there so sleeping in them wold be REALLY appreciated :D

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #15 of 32
I personally would not spend a fortune on earphones you plan to use for sleeping in. Number one, things can break if you toss and turn. And two, if you're going to konk out after ten minutes or so, why spend on something you won't hear (except maybe in your subconsciousness)? I wouldn't put good money in shures in this situation.

Go cheap...Sony's or something for sleeping in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back