Looking for ADJUSTABLE Hybrid Tube-Solid State Headphone Amps
Sep 26, 2017 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

unkellsam

New Head-Fier
I know there are a couple of hybrid headphone amps out that have a knob which control how much tube or solid state is used, but don't know what they are called. Pointers would be appreciated. Specifically looking for a good pair with HD800s.

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 5
I have never seen one have that option before as most hybrids use the tubes on the input stage and solid state on the output stage so not sure how that would work. The Woo WA8 is a all tube amp not hybrid but does allow for 2 or 3 tube operations.

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 5
I have to take that back as there is one that allows you to adjust the tube amount and forgot all about it it is the Hafler HA-75 and runs $1000 usd. I have a Hafler power amp for studio monitors and it sounds pretty darn good as a headphone amp as it will drive the AKG K240 sextetts with ease as well as everything else I have.

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 5
iFi Audio Pro iCan has 3 modes, solid state, tube and tube+ all sound slightly different.

Alternatively you could get their iTube 2 as it goes between your source and amp and is a buffer, you can adjust how much tube warmth you want from it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back