Looking for a USB DAC with an amp built in
Dec 22, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portable or stationary? What kind of headphones are you using?

Doesn't matter, most of my listening will be done from a desktop computer. And I won't be using headphones, I'll be using studio Monitors. Which ones..I'm not too sure, my options are wide open right now.

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you considered Asus Xonar Essence?

Nope, I only want an external DAC, not an internal sound card (I'm building a new computer soon, and only want external)

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 12
Dec 22, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverBlade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't matter, most of my listening will be done from a desktop computer. And I won't be using headphones, I'll be using studio Monitors. Which ones..I'm not too sure, my options are wide open right now.

Well, why do you need an amp? If you only feed your monitors you just need a dac - without any (headphone) amp. If you don't want to adjust the volume through your PC you would need built in pre-amp, though.

Have a look at the Matrix Mini-i.

best regards.
bearmann

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 12
If HeadphoneAddict's review of the Nuforce uDAC is to be believed, you may be best off buying that and a $300 amplifier. I think there are often a lot of compromises made in combo units - people often seem to be happy with one section but not the other. I think you're best off finding two great value components than one convenient one.

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at various studio DACs because they have XLR or 1/4 output for your studio monitor

MOOG AUDIO - Canada's Best Music Store Online

What he said. Another popular brand not listed in that link is E-Mu. The Emu 0404 is fairly popular around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back