Looking for a sub-$100 pair of headphones that can be driven off my laptop's headphone port to replace Sony MDR-V700s
Jun 29, 2012 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shymog

New Head-Fier
The title says most of it, but a little more information won't hurt.

I've been using a pair of Sony MDR-V700s for quite a long time.  Yes, I know they're not particularly good, or well-regarded in these forums, and I can even agree with a lot of the reasoning for it.  However, they served me well, until two days ago when a cat decided to chew through the cord.  I've since relocated my desk to a room the beast doesn't have access to, but the 'phones are completely unusable unless I replace the cord, and for these headphones that's just far too much effort.  The one nice thing about the MDR-V700s was that they were incredibly easy to drive.  I don't want a separate headphone amp at this time (somewhere I have an old HeadRoom amp that I could use if there's something very compelling).

The soundstage on the V700s was terrible, so I'm looking for something that doesn't sound like I'm listening in a small box.  I do however like a little "punch" from the low and mid bass, but I also like to have clear, relatively bright highs and clear mids as well.  For reference, I use a pair of Etymotic E2Cs for on-the-go listening and enjoy that sound quite a bit.  However, when I'm working at my computer I prefer the comfort of headphones to in-ear.

What's the best "bang for the buck" under $100 that won't sound worse in any significant way than the V700s?  Preferably I would like an improvement, but the cheaper I can replace these right now, the better.

EDIT:  For ideas of what I listen to, it's a variety.  I spend a lot of my time listening to hard rock, classical, and the very occasional guilty pleasure of dubstep.  I also do play games/watch movies on occasion (gotta keep it quiet for my daughter at night) but I'm not looking for gimmicky "5.1 surround!!!!!#$!@$" 'phones.  Music quality is still the priority.

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 5
Depending on the movies and games you play, I could suggest several.

If you watch/play a lot of action, (lots of explosions and guns) Then mabye a pair of cans with an elevated bass end would be fun. The Sony XB500's or 700's (60 , 90 dollars respectively) would be a fun pair of cans. The700's are a little more refined than the 500's, but aren't as boomy.

If you want a more balanced sounding can, the look into the past models of the ATH-M series from Audio-Technical. I enjoyed using my mother's M-40's for watching videos. They may not be the blossom that the M50's, they will work just fine for what you need them for, and they run for around 65 dollars.

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Depending on the movies and games you play, I could suggest several.
If you watch/play a lot of action, (lots of explosions and guns) Then mabye a pair of cans with an elevated bass end would be fun. The Sony XB500's or 700's (60 , 90 dollars respectively) would be a fun pair of cans. The700's are a little more refined than the 500's, but aren't as boomy.
If you want a more balanced sounding can, the look into the past models of the ATH-M series from Audio-Technical. I enjoyed using my mother's M-40's for watching videos. They may not be the blossom that the M50's, they will work just fine for what you need them for, and they run for around 65 dollars.

I might check out the XB500s.  Right now I'm also trying to decide whether I want to wait for a set of cans to get shipped or to buy from brick and mortar.  Limits me heavily, I can't find any place with a good selection!  Sennheiser HD419s and HD428s seem to be the best available locally, but I'm unsure if they'll suit my tastes.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 5
In my opinion, the Senn's are more of a classical listener's headphone. You should be able to buy the XB500's at your nearest Best Buy.

And I know that the brand get a lot of flak, but the Skullcandy RokkNation's might suit your needs quite well and they run around 170. They are a decent listening headphone that isn't all about bass. Their only downside is there hit ended high end is slightly tinny, harsh. They got some style though.

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the suggestions.  I grabbed a pair of Sennheiser HD 439s after checking five different places (two Best Buys and a few music specialty shops) and couldn't find the XB500s.  I got the HD439s for $35 thanks to some RewardZone certificates and a gift card I had.  I'm ordering Sony XB500s to see which I prefer, then either return or pass the losing pair to my wife.  Auditioning headphones is difficult when places don't have them set up.  So far I like the HD439s.  Bass is present but not terribly distorted, and it has enough punch to not suck.  Highs are good as well, mids make me think I need to find an amp.

So far I like the comfort of the HD439s, though.  The cloth pads are perfect and are waaaayyy better than the pleather pads of the old V700s.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I just wish brick n mortar stores would be better equipped to sell these things.  "Oh, you want a $80 pair of headphones?  Let me keep them in plastic blisterpacks so you can't make a good decision."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back