Looking for a step up in IEMs.
Jan 15, 2018 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

35mmpistol

New Head-Fier
TL;DR, in need of a detachable cable, low profile IEM that is sonically superior to the se215s. ~200 dollars.

I've currently got a pair of Yamaha EPH-100's that I've had for ages, and love, but they're in terrible shape from a friends dog enjoying them. They're usable as a periodic home pair, but I need an all-around pair for life.

I'm looking for an IEM for heavy daily use with Music (Everything from classic rock to modern electronic and folk) to be paired with my galaxy S8 with a basic USB-c DAC/amp

Basic requirements are a replaceable cable for longevity and durability, and a very low profile, similar to the Shure style IEMs, so they can be worn for long durations, under hats and helmets, etc. Isolation is nice, but not a vital key, since the EPH-100's have comply isolations on em, and are ridiculously closed for use in high-noise situations. I will be wearing these for 3-9 hours a day, and I'm open to custom options with a price bump.

I grabbed a pair of Shure SE215s, and was thoroughly unimpressed. Shapes nice, fits nice with comply's, cables cables fine, but the SQ and detail are just not what I'm looking for. I felt like from a detail perspective the burned in yamahas absolutely killed em.

Stuff I've considered:
-1more's triple - bad form factor for hats and helmets.
-Shure 425's - Feel a little burned from the negative se215 experince, not excited to try again with shure?
-Chi-Fi. I've got friends in Shanghai who can ship to me, so I'm very open to chi-fi stuff.
-M300 - Form factor seems bad for anything active at all.

Jan 15, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 8
Shure 425's - Feel a little burned from the negative se215 experince, not excited to try again with shure?

Not sure where you would find a SE425 for $200 p, but if you’d, pick them up. Personally, I dislike the SE215, but the SE425 is nothing like the SE215. I would definitely give it a look at least. It has a nice, warm-ish/balanced tone and the vocals are great. If you're looking for a bass heavy pair or treble heavy pair though, I'd stay away from them.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 8
Not looking for anything bass heavy, just present. More emphasis will be placed on vocals with acoustic accompaniment.

It's definitely a bit over-budget, but I'm open to used, and open to waiting for sales to snag a better pricepoint. I'm certainly interested in getting custom molds down the line, so that's a factor as well.

Jan 15, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 8
Of those you list, my preference is for the Shure. I think any comfort issues when wearing under a helmet can likely be addressed using the Comply tips. One more you might consider, that does not meet all your requirements but is nonetheless quite good, is the RHA MA750. It might be worth reading about to see what you think. Very high quality sound for the money. Worth a look.

Jan 15, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 8
The RHA's are my top choice BUT without detachable cables, It's gonna be a pass for me sadly. I love the shures for comfort, and I may not have been clear that they are excellent for use with a helmet etc (specifically a ski helmet, with padded ear covering). So far it sounds like moving up to a 4 or 5 series shure may be the best bet.

Jan 16, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 8
A tiny bit over your budget are the Oriveti New Primacy, detail is there as is everything else.

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 8
The RHA's are my top choice BUT without detachable cables, It's gonna be a pass for me sadly. I love the shures for comfort, and I may not have been clear that they are excellent for use with a helmet etc (specifically a ski helmet, with padded ear covering). So far it sounds like moving up to a 4 or 5 series shure may be the best bet.
I have read they have excellent warranty and customer service. The quality of my rha 650 wires are excellent. Or were you planning on upgrading cables?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back