Looking for a Single DD IEM ($300)
Apr 4, 2019 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dairy

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Currently looking for a Single DD IEM and am looking for some recommendations. Some requirements would be: detachable cables, around or under $300USD (but a little flexible), well-built, has decent isolation, has good subbass, and does not require modifications.

Currently have Etymotic ER4XRs, Campfire Comets, and Campfire Andromedas, so I don't need anything too analytical, neutral or with especially high resolution and detail, but want a fun DD IEM with good bass to complement them. I am particularly sensitive to hot upper mids/lower treble and wouldn't want anything sibilant or fatiguing. I do not particularly need a wide soundstage or an airy treble, given the budget, though it would be nice.

Source would be an Fiio M6 DAP. And listen to a wide variety of music, except classical, metal, and country.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated!

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 8
Your description sounds very much like my modded JVC HA-FD02 fit the bill, both in terms of sound as well as price.
I know you said "no mods" but the mod is very simple, you just need a $4 roll of 3M Micropore tape and cover most of the nozzle, leaving a small gap on one side. For slightly boosted sub-bass I also used a small piece of tape on the front vent hole.
More information here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/page-13#post-14870966

Another DD IEM that gets a lot of attention and sounds like it could fit the bill is the Tanjim Oxygen, but I have not heard it enough to say anything about it's sound.

The Sony XBA-N3 is a hybrid with bass boost that sounds very good, that might also fit your requirements.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 8
Etymotic are bringing out the new ER2XR which is dynamic based if that's any help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back