1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a set similar in sound to the HD 280 Pro but with slightly less deep bass.

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by trantalocked, Aug 27, 2014.
  1. TrantaLocked
    I really like the 280s bought today, though I just wish it had a few decibels less deep bass (the headroom chart shows it has a hump from 20-50Hz).

Any pairs, particularly Sennheiser, out there with a very similar but with slightly less deep bass? Also, anything around $100 or less.

2. TrantaLocked
    Bump for help on this? Wondering if the Shure SRH440 or Sony MDR (7506 or V6) would fit what I am looking for. Again, the 280s have a perfect response until you hit 60 Hz and below. There is a sub bass hump that adds a bit too much of a bloated feel to everything else on the spectrum. 

3. Head Injury
    Do you have access to an EQ? It's worth fixing the problems of a headphone you otherwise like.

If not, InnerFidelity has great headphone measurements you can check out to try to find a match. They have the HD280, SRH440, and MDR-V6. Going purely by these, the SRH440 has a signature closer to the HD280, but no telling if you'll like it (or maybe you'll like it more!)

Also note the large shifts in sub-bass with the pads of the HD280 placed in different ways (that's the grey lines which are averaged and compensated to make the red/blue ones. Maybe all it will take to fix your bass is to find a positioning you like? Try loosening the seal on your ears.

4. TrantaLocked
    I might check either out, though the pads on the Sony's look a bit thin.

I did figure out that it wasn't just the subass. No matter how much I lowered subass on the EQ, I wasn't getting what I expected. So I realized it wasn't just bass in relation to higher freqs, but something wrong with the balance in the mid or upper range. I saw on the 280 graph that there is a sudden decline around 3Khz, while the decline is not as steep on the HD 201. I increased 4K and it helped somewhat, but as always, EQing just causes music to sound like it has holes in it. I need a more accurate EQ, with like 100+ bands.