Looking for a set of closed sub $100 headphones for use around the office and commute.
Jul 20, 2012 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

xecure

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, a few months ago You guys helped me become the owner of a Samson SR850 
smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

I absolutely love the sr850s but they tend to leak a lot of sound. I use them around my house but I'm looking for a second pair of headphones for I can use in my morning subway commute and in the office. NYC subways are very noisy so I'd like to keep as much noise as possible out and when I'm in the office I'd like to keep as much sound as possible in.

I'd like to spend between 50 to 80 bucks, but if a pair of headphones is worth it, I'd be willing to spare a couple of extra bucks for it also. I listen to all types of music from R&B to rock to classical. But I'd like them to play house music very well (what i listen to the most).
Please help me find a pair of headphones I can use for my commute and around the office.
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:
Hi everyone, a few months ago You guys helped me become the owner of a Samson SR850 
smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

I absolutely love the sr850s but they tend to leak a lot of sound. I use them around my house but I'm looking for a second pair of headphones for I can use in my morning subway commute and in the office. NYC subways are very noisy so I'd like to keep as much noise as possible out and when I'm in the office I'd like to keep as much sound as possible in.

I'd like to spend between 50 to 80 bucks, but if a pair of headphones is worth it, I'd be willing to spare a couple of extra bucks for it also. I listen to all types of music from R&B to rock to classical. But I'd like them to play house music very well (what i listen to the most).
Please help me find a pair of headphones I can use for my commute and around the office.
biggrin.gif

Used Brainwavz HM5.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
Anything sub $100 new?

IEMs would be a better bet.

For that budget all rounders don't exist. Not good ones anyway.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 14
Just some suggestions:

Creative Aurvana Live! - I think you will like...

Koss PRODJ 100 - should be good

KRK KNS 6400 - neutral sound but try to get a feel at the store...

Ultrasone HFI-580 - stretch...but you may love them :) (USD$120)

Shure 440 - neutral, nice...

My 2 cents:

Save a little more and get the Ultrasone HFI-580 ...its a 'fun' headphone and decent pricing....house music should sound great with this...
I know its stretch, but seems to be the right thing to do.. 

But, if u can't stretch, then u can happily consider the others,..do try them out at a local store...

Happy Hunting :)

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Just some suggestions:

Creative Aurvana Live! - I think you will like...

Koss PRODJ 100 - should be good

KRK KNS 6400 - neutral sound but try to get a feel at the store...

Ultrasone HFI-580 - stretch...but you may love them :) (USD$120)

Shure 440 - neutral, nice...

My 2 cents:

Save a little more and get the Ultrasone HFI-580 ...its a 'fun' headphone and decent pricing....house music should sound great with this...
I know its stretch, but seems to be the right thing to do.. 

But, if u can't stretch, then u can happily consider the others,..do try them out at a local store...

Happy Hunting :)

Thank you for the reply! I'll try out the HFI-850 in a store. Honestly, I don't have much of a budget. I don't want to spend too much money on a pair of headphones and use it for a year and feel like it's not worth it.  I've used my Samson sr850 for a year now and I still feel like it's worth every penny.

My ears aren't as good as most of the power users on this forum so I may not be able to tell the difference  between a good pair of $100 headphones and a pair of $500 headphones (though I'm not tone deaf either =P). I'd dish out $1000 for a pair of headphones if I feel like it's worth it. Budget isn't really the issue. I really just want good sound for a price I won't regret later. For an auto enthusiast $200,000 for a Ferrari may seem like nothing to drive one of the finest automobiles in the world, but for someone who isn't into cars so much may regret pay that much money just for a "car." Get what I'm saying?

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Anything sub $100 new?

Jaycar sells the FA-003/Brainwavz HM5 under their own name, think there around $50 plus shipping.

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
Thank you for the reply! I'll try out the HFI-850 in a store. Honestly, I don't have much of a budget. I don't want to spend too much money on a pair of headphones and use it for a year and feel like it's not worth it.  I've used my Samson sr850 for a year now and I still feel like it's worth every penny.

My ears aren't as good as most of the power users on this forum so I may not be able to tell the difference  between a good pair of $100 headphones and a pair of $500 headphones (though I'm not tone deaf either =P). I'd dish out $1000 for a pair of headphones if I feel like it's worth it. Budget isn't really the issue. I really just want good sound for a price I won't regret later. For an auto enthusiast $200,000 for a Ferrari may seem like nothing to drive one of the finest automobiles in the world, but for someone who isn't into cars so much may regret pay that much money just for a "car." Get what I'm saying?

I totally get it... :)  I know what you mean...well...lets hope you get what you r looking for ...

Let us know what happens...

@Purple Angle's sharing of http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1015#4 is freaking awesome...damn it...i should get a pair... :)))
    Are they really as good as the FA-003 / HM5 s ?

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

I totally get it... :)  I know what you mean...well...lets hope you get what you r looking for ...

Let us know what happens...

@Purple Angle's sharing of http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1015#4 is freaking awesome...damn it...i should get a pair... :)))
    Are they really as good as the FA-003 / HM5 s ?

I'm wondering this also (about the jaycar's)
I'm reading that they are the same stuff just re-branded, but I'm also reading that some people claim that the sound from them are different. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 14
Jaycars / Brainwavs HM5 / Fischer Audio FA-003

VERY good bet, jump on it. Kinda forgot about it, and all those others, made me feel kinda stupid right there.

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 14
Take a look at the Philips Citiscape Downtown. I find them excellent for day to day listerning. They attenuate a good amount of outside noise and also stop your music from annoying others.

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
Take a look at the Philips Citiscape Downtown. I find them excellent for day to day listerning. They attenuate a good amount of outside noise and also stop your music from annoying others.

On this note...even the Uptown version are awesome apparently :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back