Looking for a replacement IEM cable under $50
Mar 16, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #16 of 38
ucrags84, proving that aftermarket cables actually work would be very hard or impossible. However, many people like me believe that aftermarket cables do make a difference. I myself have just bought a $510 cable for my soon to come UM Miracles. Copper is said to be more bassy and add more body while silver is said to add more detail and us brighter. I think that SPC is similar to a hybrid cable. It should combine the bass and detail if copper and silver. If your budget is still only $80, you can probably rule pure silver cables out. In fact, why don't you shoot me a PM? We can talk some more over there. I have just finished researching cables myself too.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:
After doing research into these aftermarket cables I'm kind of lost. I'm reading about silver coated on copper cables, and very high purity copper cables, what's the difference from stock IEM cables? Also are stock IEM cables made from copper? 

From my understanding the conductivity and resistivity delta between copper and silver is very small. I have a pair of 1964 Ears V6, will a pricey cable really make a difference over stock? I'm going to be listening out of an iPhone 5 for portable use and an Asus Xonar sound card at home.

Here's some information for you:

- Testing any purity over 5N is rather expensive. Not gonna start any claims that companies are liars, just be cautious, you may not always wish to go by this number is what I am saying, reviews and talking to company representatives will provide you information about the cable and comfort in making a purchase. I only look at numbers when I first look into a cable, then I prefer listening to reviews to build up my knowledge instead of quoting hard numbers. 
- Stock cables are actually a for of Silver-plated Copper wire if I am not wrong. It's just not the most high-end Silver plated Copper wire out there. 
- You are definitely doing your research right if you are confused. It's a confusing market. I personally don't like saying everyone will hear a difference between one SPC cable and another or things like that, it's a matter of ability to hear things. The real differences to be heard is between the different types of wire. Main ones being Copper, Silver-plated Copper (SPC) and Silver. Their are a few companies with the claim of gold mixed into a Silver-plated copper wire but I haven't read much about these cables yet. 
  • Copper Wire - Usually said to be more of a warm sound signature and bassy as opposed to other types of wires
  • Silver - More of an analytical sound signature, some interesting things happen in the treble region. 
  • Silver-plated Copper - Sort of a hybrid of the two.

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #18 of 38
I'm a big believer in cables, but I was a wondering if there is any proof that cables actually make a difference?

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #19 of 38
Purity is a big point of contention. Lot's of people argue for or against purity, but I think certain aspects will affect a wire. I have personally heard differences in OCC versus other types of wire(crystal structure of the wire seems to be important). I also have heard the differences in the types of metal used. Silver versus copper, that type of stuff. 
Quote:
I'm a big believer in cables, but I was a wondering if there is any proof that cables actually make a difference?

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #22 of 38
No, I it wasn't sarcasm. At first, I wasn't sure if cables made a difference and then, I read review from head fiers like average Joe and if they think that there is a difference then there probably is.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:
No, I it wasn't sarcasm. At first, I wasn't sure if cables made a difference and then, I read review from head fiers like average Joe and if they think that there is a difference then there probably is.

It's a theme of many an argument here on Head-Fi. I like to take the middle ground. They're an accessory which depending on the type of metal and the process it was made under will change the sound slightly. I don't think much different of a 5N or 7N OCC wire, to me they're the same but some people may argue with that, the purity changing the sound a lot. Frankly it's not often you'll find two wires from the same manufacturer, one just of higher purity, so it's not a fair test.

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #25 of 38
Stock cables are not SPC (silver plated copper). If they are tinned, it won't be with silver at under $40.

Look at the pre 2010 UERM cable from Ultimate ears. It's the best of the stock type offerings and only $30. 4 wires to the plug and good ergonamics. http://ultimateears.logitech.com/en-us/ue/custom-in-ear-monitors/accessories

If I were to go for a moderate cutom, I'd go with the BTG Sunrise ($78) and avoid SPC unless you're looking to brighten things up a bit. http://btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#ecwid:category=2706350&mode=product&product=12596470

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #26 of 38
silver is very analytical, highly detailed, almost sterile sounding, pure silver cables can be bright.

Copper cables have a warmer signature, dynamic sounding bass

SPC cables imo have the analytical sound,highly detailed with coppers Dynamic sounding bass,female vocals are very sweet. wide soundstage but vocals feel very close (this is my opinion with spccable and se530)

IMO the silver plated copper is the best of both worlds. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #27 of 38
Agreed, SPC is probably the best way to go if you are unsure which cable to go with. For some, they might choose a cable that pairs well with their headphones which may not always be SPC. I haven't heard much about the 1% gold cables, have you?
Quote:
silver is very analytical, highly detailed, almost sterile sounding, pure silver cables can be bright.

Copper cables have a warmer signature, dynamic sounding bass

SPC cables imo have the analytical sound,highly detailed with coppers Dynamic sounding bass,female vocals are very sweet. wide soundstage but vocals feel very close (this is my opinion with spccable and se530)

IMO the silver plated copper is the best of both worlds. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #30 of 38
almost every stock cable is made from the same wire and by the same company. Sorry to tell you it's all the same in that area. Very few exceptions
Quote:
Stock cable from 1964 Ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back