Looking for a replacement IEM cable under $50
Mar 11, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 38
Take a look at the link in my signature. You're asking for a very small market for the price point you want. I recommend contacting the CIEM manufacturer and ordering another stock cable. Most stock cables are actually Silver Plated Copper wires. They are also under $50
Quote:
I have some customs with recessed sockets, and one of the cables lost a pin. So I'm looking for a replacement that's under $50, can't afford the $100+ silver ones. Any suggestions?

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 38
If you can stretch your budget to $85, you can get a 48" silver, copper or hybrid cable from Chris_Himself shipped. You can read Average joe's review of the silver one. Pm me if you have any questions.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 38
I don't think that's the price anymore. The wire used for the cable Average Joe reviewed is different from the wire that Chris_himself uses now. New wire is better by all accounts so far.
Quote:
If you can stretch your budget to $85, you can get a 48" silver, copper or hybrid cable from Chris_Himself shipped. You can read Average joe's review of the silver one. Pm me if you have any questions.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 38
From what I know, which is only by reading and gathering information for the thread of aftermarket cables, BTG-Audio quite possibly makes some of the best budget cables. But the fact is that these are still more money than this user wishes to spend. That's the problem. I do believe their are a few options that could work in the budget, but if you're looking for a quality product, it is so worth the extra money. 

Other options include buying wire and making it yourself. 
Quote:
Check btgaudio.com for his cables he makes some great cables for someone on a budget

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 38
Yeah I agree diy is probably the cheapest way to get a decent cable. And really it s not that hard to do. You can get a good connector like viablue or oyiade then connectors. And the cable itsself. You could make a decent cable in your price range.

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 38
I don't think that's the price anymore. The wire used for the cable Average Joe reviewed is different from the wire that Chris_himself uses now. New wire is better by all accounts so far.
Actually, I think that they are still $85 shipped. It's probably the cheapest that you can get for a cable for an IEM with recessed sockets if you don't want to go down the DIY route.
http://chrishimselfaudio.blogspot.com.au/p/pricing.html?m=1
Here's the link.

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 38
I don't think that the cheapest IEM cable from BTG offers recessed sockets. Is that right? You'd better ask kenman345.

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #11 of 38
This is a case you would have to email Chris_Himself about pricing. I know their have always been a delay of when the prices change and when the website is updated. It's not necessarily the cheapest, but it's a good product and competitively priced with its competition for what you're getting, that's for sure.
Quote:
Actually, I think that they are still $85 shipped. It's probably the cheapest that you can get for a cable for an IEM with recessed sockets if you don't want to go down the DIY route.
http://chrishimselfaudio.blogspot.com.au/p/pricing.html?m=1
Here's the link.

I recommend BTG-Audio and Chris_Himself cables when asked about these things in your price range. The fact is they are both good companies to get cables from. I wouldn't even dare recommend Toxic Cables to you as you have no options but the Scorpion (I think) as a selection for the cheapest cable. 
Quote:
I'll up my budget to $80, but it looks like btg audio has very reasonable prices

All BTG Audio cables support recessed sockets. It's standard. Just don't buy FitEar cables unless you have a FitEar product, They use a proprietary pin type and they won't fit into any other IEM's. FitEar cables from BTG Audio are $10 more though, so it's easy to realize that you might be buying the wrong one when you make your order. They are also clearly labelled. 
Quote:
I don't think that the cheapest IEM cable from BTG offers recessed sockets. Is that right? You'd better ask kenman345.

The fact is their are a lot of options, one just needs to be willing to spend the money and do the research. I did my research and that's how my list came about in the first place over a year ago. I think it's worth noting that in the low-end to high-end, their are plenty of options and a decent range of quality. If you were for example, looking for a high-end cable, their are some nice companies that sponsor this forum that make some excellent products. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #12 of 38
Yeah, Toxic Cables makes really good cables, but they are very expensive. I just bought a Hybrid 8-Wire IEM cable from Frank.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #13 of 38
You can buy loose wire relatively inexpensively from Frank on his eBay site. Also less wait time on that, if you are willing to make your own cable though
Quote:
Yeah, Toxic Cables makes really good cables, but they are very expensive. I just bought a Hybrid 8-Wire IEM cable from Frank.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #14 of 38
I just bought one from him. I wouldn't know how to make it anyway. Buying all the equipment and stuff wouldn't be worth it.

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #15 of 38
After doing research into these aftermarket cables I'm kind of lost. I'm reading about silver coated on copper cables, and very high purity copper cables, what's the difference from stock IEM cables? Also are stock IEM cables made from copper? 

From my understanding the conductivity and resistivity delta between copper and silver is very small. I have a pair of 1964 Ears V6, will a pricey cable really make a difference over stock? I'm going to be listening out of an iPhone 5 for portable use and an Asus Xonar sound card at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back