Looking for a replacement for my old Grado SR80's
Nov 18, 2010 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Boerta

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement for my aging SR80s. I use them primarily with my mp3 player (a cowon d2 at the moment, the third mp3 player in my SR80's lifetime). I've been very happy with how the SR80s sound, but I've had to do a lot of patchwork repairs through the years, and I'd like to look at different headphones for this reason, as it doesn't look to me like they fixed any of those problems with the SR80i.

I listen mostly to progressive rock, Frank Zappa, Beefheart, that kind of thing. I dunno how much that matters to a choice of headphones, but there you have it.

I've been reading reviews for Shure SRH-840, Beyer DT 770, AKG 701 among others, and they pretty much fit the pricerange I'm looking for, the Beyer ones being in the top end of it. I plan on visiting stores around where I live and give them a go, but I'm hoping for more options to look into, as well as a notion of wether or not any of them can be used with an mp3 player.

Hope you guys can help me out.

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 5
The dt770 seems to come in a lot of different versions. Which one is suitable for an mp3 player? Presumably not the one with 600 Ohms :)

I really like how the Shure headphones have detachable cords. Do the Beyer and AKG ones have that? Is it common in the pricerange?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back