Looking for a recommendation. $600 budget.
May 5, 2018 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Caladan Brood

New Head-Fier
Hey guys.

I am currently using the ATH-M50x plugged into my motherboard, which I heard is pretty good (SupremeFX S1220 CODEC / ES9023P High Definition DAC).

It sounds good, but I realize that I prefer open-back headphones more. I used to have a Philips SHP9500S that I liked a lot.

I'm looking for an open soundstage where I can pick apart the instruments very well. I like clarity. I'm not huge into bass, and I don't like it when the bass is overpowering.

I am currently looking at the Senn 650s, Beyer DT990s, or the AKG K712. I am also looking for DAC/Amp recommendations.

I usually listen to progressive and technical death metal. Here are two examples:

and

Thanks!

May 5, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 11
If you want wide in a soundstahe I would probably stay away from the HD650, which is more intimate in its stage. For me, the one that ticks your boxes best is the K712 Pro. Not sure what you are looking for in an amp, but it is hard to beat a Magni 3/Modi Multibit stack in your general price range--depending on your price for the 712.

May 5, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm looking for an open soundstage where I can pick apart the instruments very well. I like clarity. I'm not huge into bass, and I don't like it when the bass is overpowering.

I am currently looking at the Senn 650s, Beyer DT990s, or the AKG K712. I am also looking for DAC/Amp recommendations.

I usually listen to progressive and technical death metal. Here are two examples:

As Serman suggested above,scratch the HD650s off of your list for the midbass that will muddy up when youre trying to enjoy your metal(its too slow)It also has a narrow sound stage.
I would also forget about the Beyer DT990s(lack of texture in the mids/recessed mids) and K712(not aggressive enough for metal)

I will suggest you watch my review of the K240 sextetts,which I find to be phenomenal for all types of metal.

You can grab one for around 100.00-150.00 on eBay,a Modi Multibit for 200ish,which will leave you approx 250.00 for a decent vintage receiver to be used as an amp.

I have been thru dozens of headphones,amps and DACs costing 5 digits and its tough to beat the sextett for metal without going into the ZMF Atticus($1300.00+a balls out TOTL OTL amp to make it sound good...an additional 2k easy)

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 11
I know nothing about amps or DACs, apart from they would supposedly make the music sound better.

Also, is "Magni 3/Modi Multibit stack" the same as the Magni 3 and Modi 2?

Thanks.
Yes, but the Modi Multibit is an upgraded Modi 2. Most folks agree it sounds better. It is not essential, but will likely sound better, It is called a stack because people often stack one physically on top of the other.---)

May 5, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 11
When I first saw this post I thought soundstage and good separation without too much bass into the mids and I put on the HD-800’s which fits the bill with a Chord Mojo and was pretty good until @Monsterzero said K240 Sextetts. Plugged them into the Mojo and we are off to the races. No doesn’t have the soundstage or detail of the 800’s but are just kick ass with The Deported from Beyond Creation liked it more than Coexistence . Had to find them on Tidal as YouTube music I can’t stand sorry. Have to limit myself as the more power to them was so much better but I still want to hear but this combo is a badass metal setup.

May 5, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 11
Hey guys.
I am currently using the ATH-M50x plugged into my motherboard, which I heard is pretty good (SupremeFX S1220 CODEC / ES9023P High Definition DAC).
It sounds good, but I realize that I prefer open-back headphones more. I used to have a Philips SHP9500S that I liked a lot.
I'm looking for an open sound stage where I can pick apart the instruments very well. I like clarity. I'm not huge into bass, and I don't like it when the bass is overpowering.
Thanks!
Beyerdynamic T90 headphones, plug them directly into the motherboard's on-board audio (on board sound card), for now.
Should be able to find a used pair for around $300.
I really like the clarity of my Beyer T90 :)

I use the Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC/amp, to drive my T90 :)
http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm

May 5, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 11
Try HD600 Hifiman 4XX.:):):)
also according to what you describe, you may still like ATH House sound.
Try some ATH.
Senn 650, Beyer DT990s, AKG K712, I will also choose K712.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 11
Try HD600 Hifiman 4XX.:):):)

download.jpg

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 11
I know nothing about amps or DACs, apart from they would supposedly make the music sound better.

Up to a point, louder tends to be perceived as better, particularly if you have to get past a certain noise floor (IEMs generally get around that more by isolation than outright output). In order to go louder, you need an amplifier to provide more power, which depends on the sensitivity of the headphone as well as impedance (which affects whether it needs current or voltage more).

You then need the DAC so you can send a very clean fixed voltage signal to the amp, preferably around 2volts, which is the Sony standard for CD in a single-ended analogue connection.

Also, is "Magni 3/Modi Multibit stack" the same as the Magni 3 and Modi 2?

Whatever the current models are, yes.

K7XX or K712.

May 6, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 11
I vote for the AKG K7XX (if you want to take a gamble with regards to QC and save money) or K712 Pro. A more neutral presentation with a more open sound stage than most headphones such as the Sennheisers, no V-Shaped sound signature with exaggerated bass and treble like the Beyers mentioned here. Needs an amp and a good DAC always helps. The aforementioned Schiit stack is the best for the price. The Modi 2 Uber is not at all the same as the Multibit; the Multibit uses a different DAC based on completely different technology. Look up "delta sigma vs R2R" DAC and you will find articles on the subject, but the conclusion is that R2R (multibit) is typically better when implemented correctly (but it was often implemented poorly decades ago) and the Multibit should outperform the Modi 2 Uber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back