Looking for a portable MP3/FLAC player that has an FM radio in it. ipod nano or something else?
Nov 1, 2012 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AnimalChin

New Head-Fier
[size=9pt]Hello![/size]

[size=9pt]I am looking for a portable MP3/FLAC player that also has an FM receiver in it. I know the 7th gen ipod nano has an FM reviver in it, but should I look at other devices? I realize that it doesn't play FLAC, but it can play Apple lossless which is fine for me. I probably will be loading most of my songs on it at 320kbs mp3 anyways. I play on hooking this up to a portable DAC/amp. Any suggestions on this in? If I get a cheaper MP3 player that would give me more room in the DAC/amp department. Right now I am thinking something by Fiio. Headphones will most likely be some in ear phones in the $100-$200 price range. I haven't decided on them yet. Just trying to get a decent setup that I can listen to at work. Budget is probably in the neighborhood of $300 - $500 for everything. Just trying to do some preliminary research on whats out there now.[/size]

[size=9pt]Thanks for you help.[/size]

Nov 1, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 9
Sansa Clip seems to fit the bill, and you can pick up a refurb unit off ebay for $30. For IEMs, you don't really need a Dac/amp so could invest a few hundred dollars on a high end set of IEMs. Would try and advise you on hem but would need to know your music taste first. 

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 9
Sansa Clip seems to fit the bill, and you can pick up a refurb unit off ebay for $30. For IEMs, you don't really need a Dac/amp so could invest a few hundred dollars on a high end set of IEMs.

If I'm getting a cheapo MP3 player wouldn't I want a DAC that is better than the one in the MP3 player itself?

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 9
There's very few MP3 players that actually support an external DAC. The only ones I can think of are the newer iPods/iPads/iPhones and a couple of Android phones. Anyway, the one in the Clip is stupidly good for the price. 

Nov 1, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
There's very few MP3 players that actually support an external DAC. The only ones I can think of are the newer iPods/iPads/iPhones and a couple of Android phones. Anyway, the one in the Clip is stupidly good for the price. 

+1

Nov 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 9
Adding an amp, and in rare cases an external DAC to the process makes your portable rig far less portable. Kinda defeats the purpose.

The Sansa Clip is the best in class for its price. I still slightly prefer the Cowon J3 over it. I amp it at times just for the bass boost on the 8620, but for the majority of the time just have them with a pair of portable IEMs/headphones for use on the go.

Nov 1, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 9
For your budget, it's not worth buying a separate amplifier, especially if you're just using IEMs. You only really need an external amp if you're using a hard to drive headphone, IEMs are easy enough to drve without one. You'll get a much better sound improvement buying a $400 set of IEMs than buying a set of IEMs and an amp for $400. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back