Looking for a portable DAC/Amp to replace Fostex HP-P1
Nov 17, 2021 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

paulrbarnard

100+ Head-Fier
The charging on my Fostex HP-P1 has broken. I've replaced the battery but still no joy. It seems to be a failure that a few people have had and the solution is to replace the entire pcb.

Given the HP-P1 is an old device now I would expect there to be better options available.

I drive Shure SE846 IEM and the Fostex with the Shures is a fantastic combination. I also have a Fiio Q5s, bought for the bluetooth, but that is a bit lacking. The sound feels more cramped. The Fostex just opens the sound up. The Fostex is a tiny bit warmer are well.

I travel a lot so good battery life is desirable. Bluetooth is a nice to have but not essential.

What do people consider to the be state of the art in DAC/Amp to suit the Shures?

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 9
May 3, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 9
To complete the thread I went with a Mojo2 and am very happy with it. I bought a pair of AirPods to satisfy the occasional Bluetooth need.

May 3, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 9
May 3, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 9
To complete the thread I went with a Mojo2 and am very happy with it. I bought a pair of AirPods to satisfy the occasional Bluetooth need.
I think the Mojo 2 is definitely a upgrade from the Mojo. I really don’t need one but I’m kinda a Gear person so I’ll probably get one sooner or later.

May 3, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 9
I think the Mojo 2 is definitely a upgrade from the Mojo. I really don’t need one but I’m kinda a Gear person so I’ll probably get one sooner or later.
I’m loving it. The EQ is very good. I’m listening to my Grado RS1 right now which are not renown for their bass response but with a +6dB boost at 20Hz they are giving a solid performance.
The Mojo2 is out performing the Q5s by an order of magnitude and tops the HP1-P but a significant margin in enjoy ability. It’s going to keep me happy on road trips.

May 3, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 9
I am glad to hear that the Chord Mojo 2 works for you and make sure that you make full use of the new mute, crossfeed, button-lock and tone control adjustment functions with the added "M" button. If you have any questions or comments regarding it, then you can post them in this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...31-2022-starting-on-page-95-of-thread.885405/
Yes the cross feed is nice with my Shure IEM but I leave it off with the Grado RS1. It’s a very nice feature. The EQ is a hit out of the park as far as I am concerned. I have EQ dialled in and it make for a fantastic realism in the music. I’m experiencing some of my favourite tracks in a whole new light. Johnny Cash is singing as I type with a depth to his voice I haven’t heard before. I think a Chord upgrade for my desktop system is not far off.

May 3, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 9
I’m loving it. The EQ is very good. I’m listening to my Grado RS1 right now which are not renown for their bass response but with a +6dB boost at 20Hz they are giving a solid performance.
The Mojo2 is out performing the Q5s by an order of magnitude and tops the HP1-P but a significant margin in enjoy ability. It’s going to keep me happy on road trips.
Let my RS-1’s go a bit ago .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back