Looking for a pair of IEM's... Should I try some shures/ety's?
Mar 21, 2006 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

markot86

500+ Head-Fier
Here's my dilemma; It seems my family may be moving and thus I will need some sort of easily transportable rig when I go to visit them. I'm looking into IEM's again for plane/travel use, but here's the problem; All of the IEM's I've used or tried have sounded like garbage for what I paid for them. The UM2's were FAR from a 300 dollar headphone by a landslide; same goes for the super.fi's (back when I got them for 200). The only two IEM companies I haven't tried are shure and etymotic. Given that I like grado/senn as my two headphone companies, which of these should I try, or should I even bother?

I realize that there have been THOUSANDS of posts on this, and I've been reading some, but something inside me tells me that given my previous IEM experiences, There aren't any IEMs that I will enjoy. Are the e4's and the ety's worth considering if I hated the um2's and the super.fi's?

Mar 21, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 8
I have a similar problem. I had E5cs, have ER4Ps and just gave away my
E4cs. I don't like any of them so I'm considering getting a pair of Ultimate Ears or wating for the E500s. I don't think I'll ever really like IEMs, but I do need something for occasional portable use.

Mar 21, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 8
First of all, for the e500's, there's absolutely no way I'm paying 500 dollars for IEM's, regardless of how good they may sound, at least for now. I can already tell that this thing is going to be majorly hyped, when in the end it may not even be that good, so I don't really want to risk it.

Plus I've had major problems with dual driver IEM's in the sense that I always feel there's massive coloration going on. That's why I might be interested in single driver IEMs, but maybe not.

Mar 21, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
Plus I've had major problems with dual driver IEM's in the sense that I always feel there's massive coloration going on. That's why I might be interested in single driver IEMs, but maybe not.

Little coloration, I think er4's are perfect for you then.
icon10.gif
The e4 almost sounds the same except for more bass and mids. I tried the e4, er4, um2, super fi 5 and I think the e4 and the er4 are the best.

Mar 21, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
get the UE-10

He already said he won't pay $500 for a pair, no matter how good they are. I think UE-10s might be a bit out of his league.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back