Looking for a pair of IEMs for under $100...
Dec 25, 2008 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Flavored

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here, and I'm looking to upgrade from my Sennheiser CX300's.
I'm not a big fan of the bloated bass that the cx300's have - I'm looking for something more balanced.

I listen to all sorts of music - electronic, rock, rap, classical, jazz, etc.

I'm considering the Etymotic Er6i, the Denon AH-C751, and the Nuforce Ne-8, but I'm open to suggestions.

I use Zune 120 gb and a Sansa clip with no amp. Comfort, isolation and durability are also important factors as well along with SQ.

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 9
i can only comment on the ER6i as thats the only one ive had before.

these iem's have really good isolation. I literally couldnt hear anything when I put them on, even things that are like right next to me. However, some people had problems with comfort since they had triple flanges and they go really deep into your ear.

SQ is good. I remember it having clear highs and mids but lacks in the bass department (well at least imo). I never tried the EQ but I would imagine it would improve the bass if you decide to mess with that.

Dec 25, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 9
I'd suggest either the Westone UM1s or Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3 (I'd go for the UM1s between the two though). The UM1s have a fairly flat and balanced sound as compared to the UE3s which are a bit more forward in terms of its sound. The UM1's comfort level is also second to none when you compare them with other IEMS (not including other westone products of course)

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 9
I really like my Westone UM1 - they are comfortable, will take almost any type of tips, have great isolation and sound very good to me with classic rock. They don't need an amp (in fact, at 16 ohms, IMHO they sound better without an amp unless the gain is very low). I also like that they will sit flush with my ears, so sleeping with them on is not a problem (either on an airplane or in a hotel). They aren't for everyone - they are fairly flat sounding, and if you like really sparkly highs or booming bass, you might be disappointed. They are a bit over $100, but worth it!

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #5 of 9
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3 has the type of sound signature I like. Balanced, Very clear detailed treble w/excellent extension. Mids are slightly forward in its presentation. That added sparkle makes them very fun & enjoyable to listen to IMO. Bass is very tight & punchy. At $78, has to be considered. Highly Recommended.
Good Luck & Merry Christmas
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Dec 25, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #6 of 9
Depends on what is the most important to you. If comfort and isolation are more important than SQ, then go with the UM1, as there are just about the best there is for those things. If SQ is more important to you, then go with the RE2. Like all of the others, it is quite balanced. A little light on bass, but it is still there. From what I've read, the SQ is a fair bit better in the highs, as they are really smooth and sparkly, and the bass is also a fair bit better - it is really punchy and sounds very fast, not at all like the bloated bass on the CXs that sounds to me like it is miles behind the rest of the music (I used to own the Senn).

I can't honestly say that I have tried the UM1, but I did a TON of reading before getting my RE2s and mostly everything I read basically said the same thing I just said.

The Denons could be a good option too, but as I recall they are a little heavier on the bass. Do you not want much bass, or do you just want good bass quality?

EDIT: the RE2s are on sale @head-direct right now for $79. Probably will stay like that only till the end of boxing day/week

Dec 25, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavored /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I'm new here, and I'm looking to upgrade from my Sennheiser CX300's.
I'm not a big fan of the bloated bass that the cx300's have - I'm looking for something more balanced.

I listen to all sorts of music - electronic, rock, rap, classical, jazz, etc.

I'm considering the Etymotic Er6i, the Denon AH-C751, and the Nuforce Ne-8, but I'm open to suggestions.

I use Zune 120 gb and a Sansa clip with no amp. Comfort, isolation and durability are also important factors as well along with SQ.

One of the major questions with IEM's is how important is bass response to you?

Ety 6i's have almost none at all, and eq'ing won't help them. In fact, I actually prefer the Bose IE's to the Er-6i's for this reason, despite their slight muddiness and complete lack of isolation. All the detail in the world in the trebles and mids does not compensate for the absence of bass to my ears.

As for well reputed iem's with decent bass - I'm still on the hunt for a pair myself. I hear the Atrio M5's and Senn IE8's fit the bill, but I plan to do a bit more research before pulling any triggers.

Dec 25, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 9
NE8 has great clarity for the music you mentioned. IMO its much better than the UE SF3. SF3 has better bass but the NE8 is much better balanced and more enjoyable to listen to. Fit with IEM is also a consideration. The Comply T500 tips fit the best for me.

Dec 25, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 9
The $79 Shure SCL4 deal at Musician's Friend is live again! (12/25) I picked up one pair from local Guitar Center and quite like them. There are many reviews for SCL4 (E4c or E4g) on the net. I think at this price (it was and still is in other places, $180~299), no one can beat SCL4. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back