Looking for a pair of headphones for max. 500€, suggestions?
Jul 3, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 9
The HD 700 is the black sheep of the Senn family--a very polarizing can.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound and isolate poorly)?  The HD 700 is open.

What equipment will be powering and feeding these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking.

If you don't know your preferred sound signature (and even if you do), what genres of music do you plan to run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Where will you be buying?

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 9
  Right now I am leaning towards the Sennheiser HD 700s, but maybe there are better alternatives at the same price out there? Hit me with your suggestions!

Right now my favorite headphones are the Audio Technica ATH-W1000X (new $475 to $600).
As they are only 40-Ohm, works with or without a headphone amplifier.

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 9
I was just going to use them with an audioengine D1 DAC, connected to my PC. All I want is perfect sound when gaming and listening to music at home. The genres I would be listening to would mostly be Hip Hop, Electro and some Drum & Bass from time to time. Mostly Hip Hop. I do not plan to use them outside my home. The format I am listening to would be mostly 320kbps mp3 and sometimes FLAC, when I'm feeling fancy :p By sound signature, do you mean stuff like if I want to have an emphasis on bass etc? I just want an ALL neutral sound. No HEAVY bass, no WEAK bass, no high treble, no low treble, just everything right in the middle.

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 9
  I was just going to use them with an audioengine D1 DAC, connected to my PC. All I want is perfect sound when gaming and listening to music at home. The genres I would be listening to would mostly be Hip Hop, Electro and some Drum & Bass from time to time. Mostly Hip Hop. I do not plan to use them outside my home. The format I am listening to would be mostly 320kbps mp3 and sometimes FLAC, when I'm feeling fancy :p By sound signature, do you mean stuff like if I want to have an emphasis on bass etc? I just want an ALL neutral sound. No HEAVY bass, no WEAK bass, no high treble, no low treble, just everything right in the middle.

It appears that the D1 offers little in the way of a headphone amp, which seriously limits your options and probably put the HD 700 out of play. 

Based on what you said that you want, the Audio Technica Audiophile ATH-AD2000X, 1000X and less expensive (at least in the USA) Sony MDR-MA900 are all worth a look and listen.

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 9

The ATH-W1000X are very well balanced

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 9

The ATH-W1000X are very well balanced

I absolutely LOVE the way they look. But what about the AD2000X? Are they any better or are they equal? If they are equal, then I would have to go with the AD2000X, just because I HATE leather/pleather ear pads, i prefer the velours kind of pads, for me they feel a lot more comfortable.

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 9
  I absolutely LOVE the way they look. But what about the AD2000X? Are they any better or are they equal? If they are equal, then I would have to go with the AD2000X, just because I HATE leather/pleather ear pads, i prefer the velours kind of pads, for me they feel a lot more comfortable.

Guess it depends on if you want open or closed headphones.
But it sounds like you have the hots for the ATH-AD2000X (open) headphones, might as well go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back