Looking for a pair of beginner headphones. Any recommendations?
Apr 11, 2014 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

antonm07

New Head-Fier
Hello to the people here at head fi :) I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones and I'm looking for recommendations, about a year ago I bought my superlux 668B and a small Fiio amp and I've been pretty happy with them. I'm not sure if you could really call me an audiophile as I don't know nearly any of the stuff you guys talk about here (drivers and bright sounding etc) but I do have a great appreciation for good music, especially when you feel that tingling down your spine.

I can't really pinpoint what bothers me with my current headphones. I listen to a lot of indie, EDM as well as mainstream, the probem with my superlux is I don't really think it's meant to handle EDM because of the high pitched noises (i think there from the synth). Listen to Young Blood by the Naked and Famous, that's one song I don't even bother playing on my headphones because it just sounds so bad.

I'm looking for headphones at around $100 (where I live, the philippines) but I would be willing to stretch my budget up to $150. I can't really go beyond that because I'm a college student and have to take this from allowance I've saved :frowning2: As for the headphones them selves I prefer them to be open, doesn't matter if circumaural or supraural and I don't mind looks either though I would appreciate a bit of bass. Right now I'm leaning towards the Grado Sr80i and the owner of the shop from where I'll probably make my purchase (Egghead audiohub https://www.facebook.com/eggheadph) reccomended the Sennheiser HD518.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone :)

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 13
Not sure, but the M50 seems to be one of the only options in that price point, and then again, it's at your upper limit.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 13
Hello,

#1 Big Sennheiser fan checking in...........

The Sennheiser HD 518 is an excellent choice.  Also, take a look at the previous version, the HD 515. It is basically the same phone just with a different casing.  Both have very, very good SQ and are super comfortable.  I think you will be happy with either. I picked up two pair of HD 515s, used, from sellers on eBay.  One for $35, the other for $40.  You should be able to find a pair for less than $50 (US).

Also, take a look at the Sony MDR-V6 or Sony MDR-7506.  I just got my MDR-7506 in the mail from Amazon.  Listening to them right now and I am very impressed.  Mine were $96 brand new (US Dollars), shipped from Amazon.  Very nice set of cans and very highly regarded among hi-fiers everywhere.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 13
Not sure if the lower Sony options are that great for EDM. I don't see them being able to keep up with the fast pace.

Apr 11, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 13
I would recommend the ATH M40x or the AKG 240. Very different phones, but both are excellent for phones under $100. 

IMO and direct experience, the M40x >>7506 in nearly all ways. Not too surprising as the 7506 is like 30 years old in design. I can comfortably say the M40x kicks the 7506 to the curb for EDM.

Apr 12, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #9 of 13
  Not sure, but the M50 seems to be one of the only options in that price point, and then again, it's at your upper limit.

Ok I'll go check if they have that. The great thing about this shop is that they'll let you try any of the models out
  Hello,

#1 Big Sennheiser fan checking in...........

The Sennheiser HD 518 is an excellent choice.  Also, take a look at the previous version, the HD 515. It is basically the same phone just with a different casing.  Both have very, very good SQ and are super comfortable.  I think you will be happy with either. I picked up two pair of HD 515s, used, from sellers on eBay.  One for $35, the other for $40.  You should be able to find a pair for less than $50 (US).

Also, take a look at the Sony MDR-V6 or Sony MDR-7506.  I just got my MDR-7506 in the mail from Amazon.  Listening to them right now and I am very impressed.  Mine were $96 brand new (US Dollars), shipped from Amazon.  Very nice set of cans and very highly regarded among hi-fiers everywhere.

I'll try the 518 for sure. I was considering the MDR-7506 too but the shop doesn't carry sony and the mark up from local sony shops make it more expensive than it should cost but I'll check out other places
  I would recommend the ATH M40x or the AKG 240. Very different phones, but both are excellent for phones under $100. 

IMO and direct experience, the M40x >>7506 in nearly all ways. Not too surprising as the 7506 is like 30 years old in design. I can comfortably say the M40x kicks the 7506 to the curb for EDM.

I'll go check if they have the models in stock but I know they carry those brands

Thanks for replying everyone :)

Apr 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #12 of 13
Some people really love the donscorpio dolphins. People from the asian chinese headphone thread say its a aggressive headphone with a bit of a bass tilt (less than m50s).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/2445

Users who are viewing this thread

Back