Looking for a nice set of IEMs
Oct 20, 2013 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Iconoclasm

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a set of decent IEMs, sold my bx-5 monitors, they don't shine unless you turn em up and I can't do that.
My budget is around $200 but less is preferred. I've had the monster turbine pro coppers before and I loved the sound, I listen mostly to metal, classic rock and some electronic.
Thanks for your recommendations

Oct 20, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 8
Would you be more partial to the Copper's sound signature, or would you be up for trying something new that still manages to be good with those genres? Anything you'd be looking for in terms of how you'd like those genres to be reproduced - i.e. timbral qualities, tonal qualities, quantity/balancing of bass, mids, treble, spacing, presentation, etc?

Genres are a nice stepping stone in narrowing down preferences, but it's even more subjective than listing out sound descriptors, since everyone likes them rendered a different way. 

How about the physical qualities? As in build (would you want them to last long? Any thoughts on them being lighter or heavier than the Coppers - I'll be referring to that as the baseline - or any preference in that matter?), comfort (straight-barrel or over-the-ears wearing style? Are you partial to cable weight/flexibility, any thoughts on that), the likes....

Oct 20, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 8
I will be using them mainly in house so as with anything build quality is important but I am not rough with my electronics and will not be commuting with them.
Even though I loved the sound of the coppers I am up for trying something new. Tonal quality, i like bass but not too much,I'd like great sounding bass and mid bass. i want to feel like everything is where it should be nothing out of place, what I don't like is sharp treble.
Not partial to weight, but they must be comfortable, over the ear or hanging is ok with me. I'd be willing to purchase aftermarket ear tips.

Oct 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 8
I would recommend the SE215 ($100) or if you like a little more bass without it bleeding into the midrange try the SE215 Ltd($125). The best price performance IEM available.

Oct 20, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 8
Mid-bass, smooth treble, comfy, under $200 - I actually just managed to get the Philips S2 in house a few days ago and I've ripped them out of packaging, and while it's pretty linear down below, there's a decent balance of bass, and a slight mid-bass boost to these ears (ample enough for me, might not be for others). What strikes me as nice is how the smooth treble and the comfort makes for a nice smooth listen through and through. Pretty decent build actually, not very weighty.

Of course the conventional recommendations for that sort of smooth signature - the BA200 (might be a bit crisp next to the Coppers but smooth in the grand scheme of things), GR07 (okay, even more crisp, might be more against this, especially since I've not heard the Bass Editions) apply. Actually this isn't recommended as much anymore, but the X10s has nice midbass, nice quantity throughout, but in line with the mids which are also pretty forward, smooth, slightly rolled-off treble. The gel tips stock are amazingly comfortable, and make the deep-ish insertion pretty nice, tbh. Only thing is that the nozzles are a bit thin, and while I've not had it broken myself...

Most of these choices won't have a stand-out presentation - the BA200s have a bit more width and instrument distinction, but it's really too close to say much about the others. The S2 is the most open out of the lot. 

I would have also said the KEF M200 because of the nice, tactile midbass qualities, but I've not much time with those to definitively say much about the sound - and of course the big kicker - these things are enormous, and will be a PITA to fit for 70% of the populace. So would not look out for these.

Oct 20, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 8
I do have a friend selling a set of coppers for 160. I'd like to try something new though or should I just buy the coppers he's selling.

That's a pretty decent price - although the value train has caught up and a lot of the newer offerings will sort of make tiering moot - that is to say, something like the S2 can now sound just as nice as the coppers, and be less pricey than the Copper's reduced price.

There's not a lot of love for the Coppers, at least in the eyes of the general populace, so prices usually steep that low - keeping that in mind...
(not to say old things sound bad simply because they're old...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back