Looking for a new soundcard
Jun 13, 2005 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Twisted85

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I've been looking for a new soundcard to replace my current Hercules GT XP soundcard.

I made a few tests with the RMAA and here are the results:
http://personal.fimnet.fi/private/cl...Comparison.htm

I've been looking for a soundcard with external module. I'm really interested of the two E-MU models 1820 and 1820m. I know that the m version is better than the normal version, but I'd like to know how big is the difference? Is there any noticeable difference? And where can I get these to for the cheapest price?

Can I use the E-MU cards also for games? I rarely play anything, but it would be great to have nice sounds when I do so.

Jun 13, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 3
Coming from the GTXP, the 1820(M) would seem like overkill. (OTOH, breakout boxes on lesser sound cards tend to degrade the sound quality.) I'd just stick with the 1212M (or alternatively the Audiophile 192), which has the same converters as the 1820M - in fact, even a (not so) humble Revo 5.1 or Aureon 5.1 Sky would be a fairly big upgrade. As for 1820 vs. 1820M, look here: http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...820/index.html

E-MUs and games, well, that can be a mixed bag. Look at the poll thread from not too long ago.

Jun 13, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
Coming from the GTXP, the 1820(M) would seem like overkill.

True
biggrin.gif
But I've decided to buy my first really good soundcard which I can use for years. I'll probably go for the 1820. (but first I have to find out how it works with games). 1212(M) would be good enough, but I'd like to have the external module because of the microphone 48V phantom amps so I can use my Behringer ECM8000 mic with it.
I have pretty good speakers and amplifier and at the moment I really feel that my soundcard is the weakest link in my system.

Does anyone know how good the 1820(m) Headphone output is? I have Grado SR-325 (the newest model) headphones and I really don't think that I'm getting the best out of it from my Yamaha A/V amplifier headphone output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back