Looking for a new setup for my PC
Jul 9, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #31 of 54
Yes I'm highly considering a soundcard. That reminders me - the one "Con" I have with the Sennheiser PC363d is the bass is very subtle. It sounds good but it's certainly weak. This may not be entirely a bad thing - because if it was too heavy I think it would be very fatiguing during long gaming sessions.

What's the best sound card available? I would certainly consider a card that would last me through a couple builds when I upgrade just pop the card in my next computer..

I was thinking new motherboard because the new Gigabyte motherboards are boasting a Bur-Brown DAC that may be good, but I've seen very little feedback on that.

I have that one actually, namely the Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 7. However, it is plagued by static noise coming from my GTX 1080 Ti (coil whine), so haven't been able to test it properly.

The difference between the i and S is very similar to the difference between the HD-650's and 600's . As the i's are more neutral and the S's are a bit warmer with the high end rolled off just a bit. They both have much better soundstage than the Senns. As for hearing a big difference from some gear to another that depends on your hearing acuity. Some people can hear minute difference in some things and others don't so I can't say yes for you. The first time I heard the Element it had a pair of ZMF Omni's hooked up to it and it was very good. It is a very good dac amp for the price.

Alright, cool. So I have three promising headphones now:

• HD650
  • HD598
  • HE400S
At the moment, HE400S sounds the most promising. Would it be good for metalcore/post-hardcore and so on? :)

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it!

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #32 of 54
I have that one actually, namely the Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 7. However, it is plagued by static noise coming from my GTX 1080 Ti (coil whine), so haven't been able to test it properly.

Alright, cool. So I have three promising headphones now:

• HD650
  • HD598
  • HE400S
At the moment, HE400S sounds the most promising. Would it be good for metalcore/post-hardcore and so on? :)

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it!
Don't have the 598's but if you give me a few songs of what you like then I'll listen to the 650's and 400S's and see which do better. I'll do this from my Mojo or I can go straight out of my MacBook Pro your choice.

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #33 of 54
Don't have the 598's but if you give me a few songs of what you like then I'll listen to the 650's and 400S's and see which do better. I'll do this from my Mojo or I can go straight out of my MacBook Pro your choice.

That would be super kind of you. I feel bad for making you listen to my music, haha! But listen to these and say what sounds the best (not even sure if these are good for testing):
  • Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas - Cast Your Shell
  • FACT - Miles Away
  • Deafheaven - Gifts for the Earth
  • Shoji Meguro - Last Surprise
  • Kero Kero Bonito - Trampoline
I hope that those works! Summarize pretty much what I listen to! :)

Thanks so much!

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #34 of 54
Sorry but only the last song you mentioned shows up on Tidal all the bands do but not the songs you mentioned. I'll give them a go for a bit and see what happens.

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #35 of 54
If you stretch the budget a bit more, the Ifi Micro Black Label is fantastic as a desktop set that can also be transportable. More powerful than those examples and with great ASPs for use in games and music.

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #36 of 54
Ok so just listened to most of it Fear and Loathing I gave a pass on for time restraint. With Fact the 400S's for sure. The others it was too close to call but I think I would pic the 400S's also just for soundstage the 650 tonality was probably a bit better but not by a lot. To be honest I had to bump the volume on the 650's three taps as to make it fair I could actually do a proper a/b but that would take much longer and a quite a bit of my time. I have a calibrated mic for my iPhone but I don't think it would really change things here. Not by a bunch but with the music you provided I think I like the HE-400S's for it. YMMV as this is just my opinion and you might not like the same things as me.

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #37 of 54
Ok so just listened to most of it Fear and Loathing I gave a pass on for time restraint. With Fact the 400S's for sure. The others it was too close to call but I think I would pic the 400S's also just for soundstage the 650 tonality was probably a bit better but not by a lot. To be honest I had to bump the volume on the 650's three taps as to make it fair I could actually do a proper a/b but that would take much longer and a quite a bit of my time. I have a calibrated mic for my iPhone but I don't think it would really change things here. Not by a bunch but with the music you provided I think I like the HE-400S's for it. YMMV as this is just my opinion and you might not like the same things as me.

Awesome, I will probably end up getting them when my next paycheck arrives. Thanks so much for the help. I will also go for The Element at a later date, as I got help from JDS Labs to find a German-based seller for their products!

Is there anything else I should think of or am I good to go? I noticed that 400S had an alternative set of pads for them that supposedly sounds a bit better than stock. Do you own them as well?

EDIT: One question regarding the 400S! Do they clamp a lot or are they easy on the head? Looking at the design, they remind of Steelseries Siberia headset, which I can wear just fine!

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #38 of 54
Awesome, I will probably end up getting them when my next paycheck arrives. Thanks so much for the help. I will also go for The Element at a later date, as I got help from JDS Labs to find a German-based seller for their products!

Is there anything else I should think of or am I good to go? I noticed that 400S had an alternative set of pads for them that supposedly sounds a bit better than stock. Do you own them as well?

If you still need a mic, a modmic type thing. Or if you have the budget to spare, I actually recommend a desk mic.

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #40 of 54
Yeah, I'm rocking a Blue Yeti atm, so I'm all good on the mic end!
That'll do it then. From what I've heard, btw, the different Focus A pads add some warmth and bass. I may be off on that, though. I never picked up a set for my HE560.

Jul 9, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #41 of 54

EDIT: One question regarding the 400S! Do they clamp a lot or are they easy on the head? Looking at the design, they remind of Steelseries Siberia headset, which I can wear just fine!
I'm back and forth on the Focus A pads. I think the original pads are fine but I think the Focus A pads add a little bass but still like the original pads sometimes. Sorry to be so contradicting but it is a hard choice. Both are really good for some things yes I know more contradictions. Just can't pin it down. It's only like $35 for the pads and you can decide for yourself.

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #42 of 54
I'm back and forth on the Focus A pads. I think the original pads are fine but I think the Focus A pads add a little bass but still like the original pads sometimes. Sorry to be so contradicting but it is a hard choice. Both are really good for some things yes I know more contradictions. Just can't pin it down. It's only like $35 for the pads and you can decide for yourself.

Cool, I might get them then. Checking Swedish prices, the HE-400S goes for 461$ approximately. Is that "too" much for these headphones? The price is not a problem but I was thinking if I could buy them slightly cheaper from a EU store. Does anyone know a good seller for these headphones?

EDIT: I found them here for a much better price. Anyone has any experience of this store?

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/hifi-man-he-400s-planar-magnetic-headphones

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #43 of 54
I think you're gonna be damn happy with your choice. My 400i's just showed up (even though I already had the 560, I wanted to try them).

I went through your play list on youtube, and it was still fun, compressed audio and all. I may actually like the 400i's for rock and energetic performances more than the 560's. The 's' models should be warmer, with more bass, which is right in my wheel house, at least.

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #44 of 54
They are $299 on Amazon right now and the i's are at $249 so that price is not too far off then.

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #45 of 54
They are $299 on Amazon right now and the i's are at $249 so that price is not too far off then.
They had some 400s models refurbished on hifiman's website too, which were 229 I think? Not sure if they're gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back