Looking for a new player..
Jul 30, 2008 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jmccnz

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am currently looking for a new player. I have an iPod Touch, which I have for sale at the moment. I want to upgrade to a larger size player, but sound quality is important too.

I was looking at the 80GB 5.5G iPod as I have read negative points about classic (lesser audio quality, terrible eq etc.) and I want a click wheel that actually works.

I also want some new headphones. I already have the Sennheiser CX90's which I used to replace my Apple buds, but I'm looking for something better in the full headphone catagory... Would the Grado SR80's be a good choice?

Thanks.

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 6
In terms of the headphones that you plan on buying, it changes depending on whether you want to use them straight out of the portable audio player, or if you want/are able to amp them.

Generally, the better the headphones, the more you'll need an amp for them.

Headphone recommendations for straight out of your player:
Grado SR60
Sennheiser PX100

I've heard from others that the SR80s aren't great straight out of a portable audio player, but I haven't actually heard them myself.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 6
The PX100's don't need an amp to sound great. My son has my extra set for use w/his classic and they pair perfectly with it.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 6
With the Grado's just keep in mind that if anyone is near you, they will be enjoying the music almost as much as you are!

I've had great luck with the SR-60's and different iPod's, but my wife complains enough that I don't use them as often as i'd like.

-Eric

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the replies
smily_headphones1.gif

I would prefer not to amp any headphones as I see it as being a bit bulky and I'm worried that I wouldn't notice enough sound differences in buying cheaper and amp-less headphones as opposed to buying more expensive and amped headphones..? I'm more after just an introduction to better audiophile gear...

Eric, about the Grado's, I did not realise this. Is this because of the open design? I probably would want that unless i was just listening at home...

I did have some Bose Triports but my friend managed to break them, I didn't find them all that amazing I think my cheapy Senns buds are better...

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 6
My PX100's TOASTED the TriPorts. They really are over-hyped. And the Grado's are open so all sitting in close proximity will enjoy your jams as well. They are open HP's. I haven't used Grado's, but riding the NY subway sitting next to someone rocking them is an ANNOYING experience. I prefer the selfish aproach myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back