Looking For A new pair of OPEN over the Ears cans and proper AMP to match. Mid range price
Dec 14, 2012 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

maxmays1

Head-Fier
So i have been a Beyer users for quiet some time now, using almost all of the Recent DT series with a mix of amps. but i have been looking for a new sound lately. I like the sound of the Beyerdynamics as they work great with a host of sounds, but i'm starting to get annoyed with Neutral tonal feedback of The Beyer style. It may because i''m under powering them or i have just grown accustom to the sound. Along with that, the tight grip of the bands have made it hard to use for long stents and i end up feeling fatigued after about 30minutes.

As of recent i use my sony MDR-EX1000 IEMs, but i feel these things are giving me brain tumors because the sound is shot right into my head, and it doesn't really help i play games with intense sounds using these. Though these are probably the safest IEMs on the market(there ported design), i can't help but feel damage being done to my ears. The EX1k's do offer great sound and superb detail but they are way to intimate for my taste and the type of audio i listen to, plus they require the user to be IN THE ZONE in order to fully grasp the amount of detail being produced.

I really like airy and atmospheric sound as i am a fan of ambient, and live recordings. I use my Yamaha studio monitors when i have a chance, but with most cases i don't have a isolated chamber to blast sound to the highest levels without disturbing others.
So with that i'm looking at some new Open designed Cans that can deliver this style.

The two that i'm leaning towards now are the Sony MDR-F1 or SA5000's as these seemed to be as open as it gets. Most likely the SA5000 is what i will be going with. so the question for that is what would be a good amp for these? I currently have a Schiit Asgard aswell as Nuforce HD DAC i use as a preamp for the Schiit, but i don't think it can deliver enough power needed for the SA5000's. This system seems to be producing just enough power for the EX1000's. and the sa5k's take way more power at a higher ohm level.

#1 - what headphones offer the most Atmospheric sound - $200-700
#2 - Amplifier to match -$100-600
For open window i would say

Note- am not a big Sennheiser fan(design wise), but if someone takes the time to explain why they would fit my wants then i will consider it. i have owned many powerfull mid budget senns in the past and were pleased in power capacity, but they all failed in longevity.

other possible choices
Beyerdynamic T90
AKG 701/702
Grado RS1/ RS2i / PS-500
HifiMan- He500/400
Shure SRH1840
 any non high-name brands are welcome too

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 5
An AKG Q701 should suit your needs. They can be had for around $240 BNIB. I pair mine with a Fiio E17 ($140), and I find it to be plenty. It's a very good sounding $380 setup. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 5
The Q701 indeed is a nice sounding headphone. It paired well with my Fiio E11 when I used it. I am afraid you might not find it as engaging as the Senny HD650 which has grown to become my favorite headphone. I understand you have design concerns but don't They fit great, are the most comfortable headphone I own (I too have Beyers) and the sound is very fun indeed. They will have a considerable larger midbass presence than the 701's and I kind of get the idea that would be desireable for you.

If you are used to the Beyer sparkly highs you could look into the HE-400 instead of the Senny although the Senny does not lack detail in any way. I do not own the HE400 but I have to mention them.

I use the Schiit Lyr with my HD650.
The new Modi/Magni combo is technically powerful enough for it if you want to be one of the first to give it a whack :wink:
The Asguard and O2 are also amps known to be able to power it as well.

The HE400 is more efficient from my understanding and an asguard or similar amp will be more than enough for it.

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
An AKG Q701 should suit your needs. They can be had for around $240 BNIB. I pair mine with a Fiio E17 ($140), and I find it to be plenty. It's a very good sounding $380 setup. 

The Q701 does seem like a good choice, but also seems like a parallel purchase to what i already have.I'm looking for more power as well as open dynamics. plus i'm not looking for portability so i'm not all that interested in The Fiio amps, that seems like a hassle having to always keep it charged. In all that set up seems like a downgrade. But thanks for the input.

Quote:
The Q701 indeed is a nice sounding headphone. It paired well with my Fiio E11 when I used it. I am afraid you might not find it as engaging as the Senny HD650 which has grown to become my favorite headphone. I understand you have design concerns but don't They fit great, are the most comfortable headphone I own (I too have Beyers) and the sound is very fun indeed. They will have a considerable larger midbass presence than the 701's and I kind of get the idea that would be desireable for you.
If you are used to the Beyer sparkly highs you could look into the HE-400 instead of the Senny although the Senny does not lack detail in any way. I do not own the HE400 but I have to mention them.
I use the Schiit Lyr with my HD650.
The new Modi/Magni combo is technically powerful enough for it if you want to be one of the first to give it a whack
wink.gif

The Asguard and O2 are also amps known to be able to power it as well.
The HE400 is more efficient from my understanding and an asguard or similar amp will be more than enough for it.

I have tried the 650's before and do like the mid bass even more so than the Beyers. But the only thing i have a problem with the 650's are the cup design, not the actual look, but the way the sound leaks from above and under the driver, its a very weird sensation to me and couldn't quite pay attention to the details in anything i listen to because i of that weird sound. They are comfortable but it seems like the sound is not positions directly in front of the ear but slightly offset.

But i might have to try them out again maybe with the Schiit Lyr amp or something in that range. in my intial set up i had  a beyer A1 amp that i used along with my Dt 990(600ohms) and also the 650's. and they definitely made bass really punchy.

Overall i'm looking for a realist open dynamic design and the 650's seemed a little synthetic in open design, maybe because of the oval shape design. I may have to look into the Hifimans a little more. but i'm still considering the SA5000, just need to find a amp the will properly drive them

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 5
Just went over the pro's and cons of the Sony sa5000's and Senn hd650's and i'm now started to lean towards the 650's(mostly because of price and modability) but now i would like to find a good Solid state for the senns? any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back