Looking for a new pair of Headset/Headphones-Any input is greatly appreciated :)
May 17, 2012 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Shazam777

New Head-Fier
For the last year I've been perfectly fine with my Audio Technica ATH-Ad900's+Labtec LVA 7330 Mic- and Wireless Astro Mixamp combo for both my PS3 and Xbox 360.On my PC it isn't to amazing, I don't have a good/great sound card(or any for that matter) so I just have my Bravo V2 Amp connected to the PC.It's not amazing, but it's better than my on-board sound. So far, I haven't been bothered with using the Bravo V2, but If I switched from PC to Xbox360/PS3 I would have to switch my headphones over. A minor inconvenience. Now with Diablo 3 literally a day away I know I will be spending a huge amount of time on my PC, as well as console. So I've decided to pick up a pair of new headphones, reasons being I can use another(^_^) and two I feel I can do better than the Audio Technica's.

I've been looking at a few different headphones/headsets and was hoping maybe you guys can give me some input or add-in any others I may have over-looked. I know you're thinking headset? Many swear that an audiophile headphone with a standard Pc mic is the way to go, so why would I bother. It's mostly cause of this,I bought a set of five Labtec LVA mics but I have already burned through three of them. Not sure why but they seemed to have just died on me without much exertion, which is real a bummer. I currently have one hooked up to the PC and one last one left to modify. It's not much of a mod, I just cut off the plastic headband and affix the headset to one of the cups with velcro tape. I'd rather not use glue or some other tried and true method cause I'd screw it up. I don't mind doing this, but I have to hunt for more mics it seems if my last two Labtec mics die on me. I've tried clip-on mics but they suck, they pick up all outside sound. My room is too noisy, and I gotta stick with a noise-canceling boom mic for the time being I've looked into a couple of headsets, and the two that seem to garner such high reviews and praise are the:

-Sennheiser PC360 Retails for $250
-Beyerdynamic MMX300: retails for $350

(Note:I shop around...I never pay retail prices.
wink.gif
)

Both pretty much solve the mic issues I seem to be having. Plus I wouldn't need to keep replacing the velcro, since I live in Florida, and due to the heat, the sticky side of the tape looses it's adherence in about 2 weeks. Like I stated before though, Minor inconveniences. The Beyers have been said to have a much better mic and overall sound than the PC360's . I wouldn't know for fact, this is what I've read. And as far as headphones are concerned, there are so many I'm not sure which to look into. Obviously the headphones I am looking for has to be primarily for gaming and movies(80/20 ratio) my price range is between $250-$350. Any thoughts/recommended models please feel free to comment
smile.gif
Also no headset with impedence over 50 ohms. The astro Mixamp will not do them justice, and I'd rather not purchase a DAC adapter($90 extra) for the time being
smile.gif

Any thoughts on the two headsets I mentioned above would be greatly appreciated. The only sound store I have near me is about 25 minutes away and they only sell headphones $120 and lower, so trying before I buy isn't really an option. Thank god for return policies, I guess. Thanks in advance.

May 17, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 23
Adding the Asus Xonar DX to your PC should improve the audio quality for your ATH-AD900s.
The Xonar DX comes with a better DAC then whatever your PC has built in.
Then connect the Bravo V2 to the green mini-jack on the Xonar DX.
Get a digital multi-meter (DT830 $7), you can balance and fine tune the voltage on the Bravo V2
(directions for adjusting the voltage on the Bravo V2 can be found at the web site Rockgrotto, in the headphone amplifier subsection)
Total can cost you under $70 if you buy a used Xonar DX.

You can also just run an digital optical cable from your PC's optical output to the optical input on the Mix-Amp.

May 17, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 23
You may be interested in this > http://www.modmic.com/

The PC360 isn't necessarily better than AD900, just different.  Also, it's not worth it at $250.  The MX300 is overpriced.

May 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 23
@PurpleAngel- Yeah I def will look into that. Saw one on EBay for around $50. Thanks for the info.

@chicolom-Wow, it's safe to say I've never knew something like this even existed. This looks awesome. I also agree I really didn't want to fork down $250-350 on a "headset" it was jsut a thought due to my mic inconveniences. But the Modmic looks to be something I would purchase in a heartbeat.

In any case, I still would like a pair of cans for the PC and console. Any recommendations I can further look into. Strictly for Gaming, closed or open at around $200-250 range? Thanks in advance

May 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:
@PurpleAngel- Yeah I def will look into that. Saw one on EBay for around $50. Thanks for the info.

Just to make things clear.
The Xonar DX is a good sound card, but it's ability on driving headphones, on it's own, is not that great.
So it needs to be paired with an external headphone amplifier.

May 21, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

@chicolom-Wow, it's safe to say I've never knew something like this even existed. This looks awesome. I also agree I really didn't want to fork down $250-350 on a "headset" it was jsut a thought due to my mic inconveniences. But the Modmic looks to be something I would purchase in a heartbeat.

In any case, I still would like a pair of cans for the PC and console. Any recommendations I can further look into. Strictly for Gaming, closed or open at around $200-250 range? Thanks in advance

Some good recommendations here > http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-5-9-2012-he-4-and-dt990-pro-added

Q701 are my favorite.

May 21, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 23
You will do fine with the PC360's. Is the only headset (besides the pc350) worth buying. 

May 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 23
@chicolom-Wow that's awesome, you read my mind there :) I'm actually looking at purchasing the Q701's.

@Purpleangel- Good to know. any recommendations on amps that don't completely break the bank?

Quick question, seeing as how the astro mixamp is one of the better options to go with as far as console is concerned(just console), but they can't really power anything above 50 ohms. I heard that one can put a DAC into the "audio chain" and give the amp more juice. Question is which DAC(I'm guessing a Fiio e7, E9 or other) and how would I do this? Is there a diagram somewhere or instructions somewhere, cause this is all new to me.

BTW Thanks guys for putting up with all these questions, you're really helping me out. I've looked a lot of places and couldn't seem to find too much info. Plus, let's get this out of the way, I'm not to bright.

May 22, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:
Quick question, seeing as how the astro mixamp is one of the better options to go with as far as console is concerned(just console), but they can't really power anything above 50 ohms. I heard that one can put a DAC into the "audio chain" and give the amp more juice. Question is which DAC(I'm guessing a Fiio e7, E9 or other) and how would I do this? Is there a diagram somewhere or instructions somewhere, cause this is all new to me.

BTW Thanks guys for putting up with all these questions, you're really helping me out. I've looked a lot of places and couldn't seem to find too much info. Plus, let's get this out of the way, I'm not to bright.

The mixamp can power things over 50 ohms.  It's more like 250 ohms where it has trouble. 

You can't put a DAC in the chain, but you can add an amp.  I would wait and see if you actually need to do this, as a lot of people are fine with just the mixamp. 

May 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:
@chicolom-Wow that's awesome, you read my mind there :) I'm actually looking at purchasing the Q701's.

@Purpleangel- Good to know. any recommendations on amps that don't completely break the bank?

The Fiio E11 portable amplifier is only $65 and for $12 you can get a battery charger & two extra batteries off eBay.
That Bravo V2, is that one of those single tube headphone amplifier from China?

May 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #11 of 23
@Chicolom- /facepalm I meant amp...see how stupid I am? Well I was very intrigued to try out the AKG Q701's (I'm watching prices) and they are 62 ohms, hence why the concern. Also I figured this setup would generally be the same with the wireless version, correct? Cause I have the Astro Wireless mixamp 5.8...(I should've stated that before- I'm sorry)?

@PurpleAngel- I may go for the e11, most def, thanks for the head up on having to buy rechargable batteries...(grr! I wish they came with them already). Yes the Bravo V2 is that same one. It's pretty decent since I lack a soundcard for my PC and my on-board sound is literally abysmal(5 year old MoBo). I only paid around $40(with $13 for shipping) which isn't too bad seeing as how I've seen them reach into the $65-75+ shipping ranges

Again thanks for the feedback and advice guys I really appreciate it :)

May 23, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:
@Chicolom- /facepalm I meant amp...see how stupid I am? Well I was very intrigued to try out the AKG Q701's (I'm watching prices) and they are 62 ohms, hence why the concern. Also I figured this setup would generally be the same with the wireless version, correct? Cause I have the Astro Wireless mixamp 5.8...(I should've stated that before- I'm sorry)?

@PurpleAngel- I may go for the e11, most def, thanks for the head up on having to buy rechargable batteries...(grr! I wish they came with them already). Yes the Bravo V2 is that same one. It's pretty decent since I lack a soundcard for my PC and my on-board sound is literally abysmal(5 year old MoBo). I only paid around $40(with $13 for shipping) which isn't too bad seeing as how I've seen them reach into the $65-75+ shipping ranges

Again thanks for the feedback and advice guys I really appreciate it :)

Yes, I have the wireless mixamp as well and it hooks up the same way.  My setup is mixamp 5.8 > Matrix M-stage > Q701 + modmic.

I would try that bravo amp first.  I think they're supposed to be decent.  You can try Q701s first with just the wireless mixamp, then try adding the bravo amp via a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable.  

For PC just do what PurpleAngle recommend above.  Either stick a Xonar in there or hook up your mixamp with optical...

May 24, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 23
 Wow, thanks for schooling me and helping me out guys. I never thought to try the Bravo with the mixamp.(/double facepalm) and will do so once I purchase a pair of Q701's. If not I will go with the amp Purpleangel recommended. Hopefully some modmics resurface soon, I believe they're still sold out.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #14 of 23
Update:Well I got the E11 in the mail and it doesn't have a RCA in for the 3.5mm to RCA cable like shown in that picture posted earlier, but I'm guessing I just feed the 3.5mm to 3.5mm into the "in" on the E11 and the other goes into the "headphone"(green) plug of the Astro mixamp wireless unit. Then the headphones themselves plug into the "out" on the E11 and the microphone goes into the "red" plug" on the PC Y adapter. I hope no one's head exploded from that. Unless I'm doing it completely wrong, sorry for my stupidity.

----My computer burned out last week so I've been extremely stressed out with all the money I had to put into it, not to mention the new headphones and amp I bought the night before my computer burned out.... so I may just not be thinking straight.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:
Update:Well I got the E11 in the mail and it doesn't have a RCA in for the 3.5mm to RCA cable like shown in that picture posted earlier, but I'm guessing I just feed the 3.5mm to 3.5mm into the "in" on the E11 and the other goes into the "headphone"(green) plug of the Astro mixamp wireless unit. Then the headphones themselves plug into the "out" on the E11 and the microphone goes into the "red" plug" on the PC Y adapter. I hope no one's head exploded from that. Unless I'm doing it completely wrong, sorry for my stupidity.

----My computer burned out last week so I've been extremely stressed out with all the money I had to put into it, not to mention the new headphones and amp I bought the night before my computer burned out.... so I may just not be thinking straight.

That all sounds correct.  Sorry to hear about your computer
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back