Looking for a new IEM. $300-$500 budget.
May 15, 2013 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

antikryst

100+ Head-Fier
was a mainly using IEMs before (shure e3c, e4c) then i moved to cans (shure srh840, 940). suddenly missed IEMs and i dont have my old ones anymore.

got a pair of westone UM1s yesterday and they are just meh. 

i listen to all types of music but more of light rock/alternative/folk/acoustic. i like the shure sound signature. more of a mid range and treble person more than bass (though i like them to be tight and accurate... but not a basshead at all).

i love the comfort of the westones but i find the UM1s lacking. by a LOT! 

looking at the UM2,UM3X, or the shure se435, 535. any suggestions from this lot? havnt had a triple driver IEM before so i would want to try it.

did the newer shure IEMs improve in comfort over the e3c and e4c? well... i always used westone comply tips on those before anyways. but im hearing that their new tips (olives?) are quite good too.

thanks.

May 15, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 9
First off -  http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
Multi-IEM Review - 281 IEMs compared (VSonic GR07 BE and R02 Silver Added 05/15/13 p.688)
In case you haven't found these - other places to ask questions regarding portable gear.

The UM2s certainly aren't tight but they sure are lush and mid-forward. It's a bit more euphonic than the older Shure sigs but still fairly well-regarded and ultimately fun yet forgiving.

I'm also guessing that the budget is rather high as you did mention the UM3X and the SE535 to be in the running. 

The shells aren't less E3c-ish and more of the ergo-fit that the Westones had, yes. Since you had mentioned "tight bass", out of the newer Shure lot I'd say that'd be more along the lines of the SE425 rather than the 535 (dulled down dynamics and a lusher sound brings to mind the opposite of tightness - treble might also be less to your liking). Otherwise there are other brands with similar shaping and fit and sound signatures. The BA200s immediately come to mind, as does the PFE122.

May 15, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 9
You should take a look at the Earsonics SM64. Read average_joe's review. Otherwise, I find the Brainwavz B2 or Fischer DBA 02 have very good mids and highs but are lacking a bit of impact. Very good SQ for under $200. 

May 15, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Thanks for the initial replies. Really looking at the se425 since the price is bearable at 300 vs the higher end ones. I really love my srh940 and I want an IEM version of that.

Honestly, the SE425 is quite overpriced. The SE535 is 9 on Joker's review chart and even a Brainwavz B2 is a 9.2 at $189. 

May 15, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #6 of 9
Jokers review, they are rated in accordance with price, so it's 9 taking in price, doesn't mean the B2 is better, just a little better value for the price.
I think SE425 would be good for your tastes

May 15, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Jokers review, they are rated in accordance with price, so it's 9 taking in price, doesn't mean the B2 is better, just a little better value for the price.
I think SE425 would be good for your tastes

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a section solely based on SQ and another one on value?

May 15, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 9
Not exactly sure why people are holding so much credence over the point system - an arbitrary point or two given over something else really dictates it being unequivocally better? People really fail to take into account personal preference, etc. 

May 16, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #9 of 9
Between the B2 and SM64 I'll grab the '64s almost every time. As with the B2 the SM64 is very good at presenting details. It also has more bass than the B2 - on a very good way. The bass is clear, tight and extends very low. It adds a really nice sense of.warmth to go along with all of the detail. The bass can be strong when needed but isn't forced (it only shows when the track calls for it).

Overall the SM64 are very balanced and cohesive from the top frequencies to the bottom along with great detail and clarity. I would highly recommend them (over the B2, W4, Phonak
232, or the TF10.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back