Looking for a new DAP
Nov 9, 2008 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Zida

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all- recently my creative's headphone jack has been acting up (not the usual way either, my headphones just wont stay in it) so it's about time i start looking into a new mp3 player. I currently have a Zen Vision: M 30GB.

what im looking for this time around is top notch SQ, >=60GB (unless it plays flac, in which case as much GB as i can get), and hopefully a reasonable price. User Interface isn't all that important to me (though i'm really not a fan of the ipod's UI). Video playback is of minimal importance, and size, so long as it's not too big to keep in my pocket (basically not much bigger, if at all, than the zen vision M), i'm cool with it.

I'm going to be running it through either a pair of Sennheiser HD25's or Audio Technica ANC7's (depending on which i find a deal on), and i listen almost entirely to rock and it's new underground incarnate.

I'm open to any suggestion, really, so long as i'd be able to find one (so really, even if it's an oooold dell or something, i dont mind if its lacking a fanciful screen), i'm into it.

thanks in advance!

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 8
Dell, Creative, and Samsung don't make hard-drive based players anymore. Dell doesn't even make any DAP anymore. Creative's largest capacity player is only 32GB flash based, but you can add an SD card. Creative and Samsung don't support FLAC. It is still cheaper to get a HDD-based player if you need the capacity.

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 8
ok well lets talk strictly SQ then, what DAP's are known to have good sound quality. or, for that matter, are there any known for having bad SQ?
also, i dont specifically need flac, it was just something to think about. my entire collection is all .mp3 with a few albums in .flac as well.

Nov 12, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 8
So you dont need an amp and not a fan of the iPod UI. (your words), need something smaller than your Zen VM with more than 60GB.

Zune 80 or Zune 120. Zune 80 recommended for the pretty good set of earphones you get with it.

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #8 of 8
well i just got ordered a pair of noise cancelling headphones, so i dont need those ear buds.

i'd rather not have an ipod, but if it is honestly the best SQ i'd be dumb to not get it. and it doesnt /need/ to be smaller than the zenV:M, and it doesnt /need/ to have more than 60gb (i'm only just now getting close to filling my 30gb)

i've been leaning towards the zune simply because i dont know of what else is out there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back