Looking for a new DAP for use WITHOUT amp
Jan 17, 2009 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Cheesewheel

New Head-Fier
I don't want to lug around a bunch of stuff but at the same time I'd like something that sounds good with a decent pair of IEMs. A flash based solution would be nice but I don't mind either way.

I also need a decent pair of IEMs >_> (between $50 and $200)

Sorry if a question like this has been answered already, I couldn't find it.

Jan 17, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 11
Cowon D2 is supposed to have very good SQ. It's flash based, and as far as IEMS go it depends on what kind of sound you like. You can get Nuforce NE-7M's for $50. They're low end but they have good sound for the price. Emphasized but not excessive bass imo. If you want to go higher up there are a lot of choices. Etymotic ER6i are good if you love clarity and very light bass. SCL4's ($80, white) are supposedly better than the ER6i's with a similar sound sig but maybe slightly better or more emphasized mids. I haven't heard any of these really, just going on what I've read. (Except the 7M's which I own) There's also the Atrio M5's and Klipsch Image X10's in the range of 150-200. Those both have very nice bass and good clarity. If you want the best clarity/detail I would probably go for the ER-4P but be careful as it's very light on bass, just like the ER6i's.

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 11
Jan 18, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the DAP = Zune.

For IEM in your price range look @ Shure, Ultimate Ears, or Westone. Go to Earphone Solutions - Ultimate Ears Earphones, Shure Headphones and Westone Earphones - The Best Earphones for iPod Comparisons and Reviews for good prices and service.

I had a 120 gig Zune. It was nice for a couple weeks until I noticed the battery was defective. I took and back and will be ordered a D2 once my deposit clears with my bank. The SQ was pretty good on the Zune, but it would have been nice if there was a custom EQ anyway along with a couple other things. Overall I'd recommend it for an HD player but it's not good for working out and stuff because it's HD and not flash.

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 11
Based on other user's comments the Cowon is a good choice, too.

The Zune SQ is good enough that I personally don't think the EQ is necessary. The original Z30 did come with an EQ, tho'.

And the smaller capacity Zune players have flash drives, fwiw.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #9 of 11
For a player, the Cowon series is widely known here for having good SQ for the price. Think of it as an audiophile aimed version of the ipod touch. (ROUGH guess)

Um... ifyou want a cheaper DAP, the Sanza Clips and Fuzes are good also.

For IEMs, the X10s are good, I have the Super.fi 5s from UE and I love them. If you want something with amazing clarity and detail with almost no bass, then the Etymotic ER-4Ps are amazing.

If you have any questions, PM me and I'll be happy to help.
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #11 of 11
Can someone comment on which DAPs might have the lowest hiss? I've noticed my Rio Karma is much quieter than my iPhone, in terms of hiss between songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back