1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a neutral sounding closed-back circumaural - anything like Grado in sound quality?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by 2satta2, Jan 27, 2013.
  1. 2satta2
    Hey folks

I'm trying to decide on a new set of 'phones for portable use (I have a Colorfly 3 mp3 player)

My music taste is eclectic, covering most basses, but I am particularly fond of country and bluegrass music, so any headphone will have to excel at reproducing stripped back acoustic music. I do love roots and dub reggae, but I really don't want a bass-heavy set of phones. 

I've had a set of Grado SR60's for over 10 years and absolutely love them. I even once bought a set of Grado Labs SR325i's, but sold them on as I prefered the cheaper SR60

I recently took delivery of some AKG K495 NC, but returned them. The bass was far too prominent and masked the mids and highs.I also found them uncomfortable after a 5 hour train journey that I regularly have to take. 

Does anyone know of any closed-back headphones that are comparable to the SR60 in terms of balance? 

2. squallkiercosa
    Welcome to head-fi
    Sorry about your wallet

Do a proper search in the forum, there are a few threads about the subject.

3. joseph69
    So wht not just stick with the SR60i?

4. 2satta2
    The Grados are open backed so can only really be enjoyed at home. I  am looking for something to use when travelling and walking. 

5. Kimx2310
    There's the AKG K550 (or K551 if you want the shorter cable), gives a nice open sound with a good soundstage, not a lot of bass but that's not what you're looking for either. I suggest you look at some of the reviews on it since they will probably explain how it sounds better than i can.

6. obobskivich
    I wouldn't consider the K550 a good stand-in for a Grado. :xf_eek:

Two suggestions I'd make, both from Koss:

- Tony Bennett Signature Edition (or DJ100/200)
    - MV1

The MV1 is going to be punchier, livelier, better extended, better isolating, and more comfortable - but they're up there at 250R and relatively insensitive (~94 dB); can the Colorfly handle that? The TBSE are much easier to drive, and still snappy enough to handle acoustic music - fairly mid-centered, and will do well with vocals, strings, and the like. Both are around the price of the SR-60 too.

7. dweaver
    SRH940 will do the trick sound wise, I also agree that the K550 is a good option. Both are bigger but can be used with portable sources. I like the Koss DJ100 but think it will be to dark for your genres.

If you don't mind on ear headphones the DT1350 is a good option.

There is also a ton of excellent IEM's that will meet your needs.

8. 2satta2
    Thanks guys. Not heard of the make 'Koss' before so will take a look into them. The Colorfly 3 isn't particularly loud, so need to be pared with fairly sensitive cans. The Tony Bennett sounds like just the sort of thing I'm looking for. 

Might consider IEM's. I used to own a pair of Shure SE530's which I liked the sound of, but tragically they've gone missing and I've not seen them for a few years. They were a bit of a pain to put in properly though, I wouldn't buy them again. 

9. eucariote
    Quote:

I'd agree that the SRH940's signature isn't too far off from Grados.  But iems are much better for traveling imo.  I had SE530 (which I LOVED) and now have SE535 and while the foam tips are a pain to put in I've found that the rubber tips can pop right in.