Looking for a n every day fountain pen
May 24, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #46 of 66
Got any links to the Dani Trio pens? I.e. manufacturer and stuff? I realize I can look on Google, but then I'd have to sift and filter.
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #47 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
Thanks for your advice regarding inks. I will most likely get blue ink and keep it. I have seen the MB blue which turns into a blackish blue after drying. I'd rather find something that stands out more. Maybe the Waterman Florida Blue is what the doctor ordered.

Waterman Florida Blue is more of a purple blue. If you're looking for a true, vivid shade of blue, than go with Noodler's Blue. Or if you want a true shade of darker blue, go with Private Reserve American Blue, or DC Supershow Blue. I like blue myself, and most of my pens are filled with Noodler's Blue.

If you want a really interesting ink color, try Private Reserve Blue Suede...it's a crazy greenish/bluish color that tends to show off different shades once it dries. Shading can occur with any ink but it's particularly easy with Blue Suede, when using a fine nibbed pen. Looks really cool and stands out a lot when you can get it show on an envelope. It's an effect you could never hope to achieve with a BP or RB.

May 24, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #48 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinchy
Got any links to the Dani Trio pens? I.e. manufacturer and stuff? I realize I can look on Google, but then I'd have to sift and filter.
biggrin.gif

http://www.danitrio.com

wink.gif

But be ready for some sticker shock...they're at the height of their Maki-e work now and some of their pens cost more than a car.
eek.gif
The two Dani Trios I own are definitely the gems of my collection and the ones I treasure the most (no they aren't among the ones that cost as much as a car, but they definitely weren't cheap either).

May 24, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #49 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
Well...a lot of them aren't particularly expensive and aren't FPs. Pens that have a certain high tech look to them is what I go after usually. I cut back a lot of my more expensive FPs last year that weren't getting used. My fancier and main rotation of pens currently includes:

Dani Trio Tamenuri FP
Dani Trio Wakasa-nuri FP
Visconti Wall Street blue celluloid FP
Pilot Myu FP
Montblanc Starwalker Metal/Rubber BP
Montblanc Starwalker resin RB
Montblanc Jules Verne BP

The Visconti Wall Street is a nice pen. I have a few Viscontis. The Van Gogh, the Voyager Club Corno, Voyager Anniversary. One of the pens HIGH on my list is the Voyager Dragon. Especially since I was born in the year of the Dragon. Ha ha!
http://www.pens.it/pens.htm?visconti/_dragon.htm

For high tech pens, I've always thought that the Porsche TecFlex pen was pretty cool.
http://www.worldlux.com/cgi-bin/navi...=PENS&collect=

May 24, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #50 of 66
Quote:

http://www.danitrio.com

wink.gif

But be ready for some sticker shock...they're at the height of their Maki-e work now and some of their pens cost more than a a nice new car.
eek.gif

Out of curiosity, how is your Tamenuri finished? I was reading the website and it lists Togidashi or Hana-nuri.

May 24, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #51 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinchy
Out of curiosity, how is your Tamenuri finished? I was reading the website and it lists Togidashi or Hana-nuri.

Both my Wakasa-nuri and Tamenuri have a Togidashi finish. Burnished to a high glossy gleam. It gives it a very shiny, mirror-like appearance.

Wakasa-nuri_far.jpg

tn_DSC05305.jpg

That's not an actual pic of my Tamenuri, but if you look at the cap lip area of the Tamenuri, you can see the color change taking place. Mines has changed much more dramatically than that already and shows color differences on the body, giving it that wonderful aged look of Japanese urushi laquerware.

May 24, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #52 of 66
Quote:

Waterman Florida Blue is more of a purple blue. If you're looking for a true, vivid shade of blue, than go with Noodler's Blue. Or if you want a true shade of darker blue, go with Private Reserve American Blue, or DC Supershow Blue. I like blue myself, and most of my pens are filled with Noodler's Blue.

If you want a really interesting ink color, try Private Reserve Blue Suede...it's a crazy greenish/bluish color that tends to show off different shades once it dries. Shading can occur with any ink but it's particularly easy with Blue Suede, when using a fine nibbed pen. Looks really cool and stands out a lot when you can get it show on an envelope. It's an effect you could never hope to achieve with a BP or RB.

Thanks for these tips. Here are Noodler's and Private Reserve Blue Inks, courtesy of the www.theinkednib.com:

BluesPurples.jpg

BluesJPG.jpg

I like Noodler's Ottoman Azure and Private Reserve's Naples Blue the best, but the PR suede sure is looking good too. If I am lucky, I might have a 2nd FP soon to use them both!
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
Thanks for these tips. Here are Noodler's and Private Reserve Blue Inks, courtesy of the www.theinkednib.com:

I like Noodler's Ottoman Azure and Private Reserve's Naples Blue the best, but the PR suede sure is looking good too. If I am lucky, I might have a 2nd FP soon to use them both!
biggrin.gif

I didn't really like Ottoman Azhure too much myself...it comes out more of a darkish green than that bright blue that the chart shows there. Using finer or wider nibs didn't change it either. There are some people that got a bottle that is that blueish color, so there are variances out there...it's just luck of the draw on that particular color.

The chart is pretty accurate on Naples Blue and Blue Suede, if you're using a medium nibbed pen. With finer nibbed pens, Naples Blue is totally a bright turquoise, and Blue Suede is much brighter than that chart shows. You can sort of see the shading effect that Blue Suede has in the very first thin line on the left. Naples Blue actually shades pretty well too, and you can see a bit of it in the waves there from the crest to the trough. I have bottles of both myself but haven't filled any pens with them lately...both colors are definitely a bit too bright for business-like situations.

May 24, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #54 of 66
Quote:

I didn't really like Ottoman Azhure too much myself...it comes out more of a darkish green than that bright blue that the chart shows there. Using finer or wider nibs didn't change it either. There are some people that got a bottle that is that blueish color, so there are variances out there...it's just luck of the draw on that particular color.

The chart is pretty accurate on Naples Blue and Blue Suede, if you're using a medium nibbed pen. With finer nibbed pens, Naples Blue is totally a bright turquoise, and Blue Suede is much brighter than that chart shows. You can sort of see the shading effect that Blue Suede has in the very first thin line on the left. Naples Blue actually shades pretty well too, and you can see a bit of it in the waves there from the crest to the trough. I have bottles of both myself but haven't filled any pens with them lately...both colors are definitely a bit too bright for business-like situations.

That's odd, the ottoman azure looks actually darker than the standard blue by Noodler's. Might be my Mac color space. The standard blue it is, then.

May 25, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #56 of 66
Yeah, I've been trying to chase down some of Noodler's just released Eternal Blue, both because it seems like a nice shade of blue and the waterproof properties. It's a hot seller, everybody's sold out of it with a 2-3 week backlog. I'd like a waterproof FP ink so that I can use it on envelopes for that cool shading effect. I generally haven't used FPs on envelopes because it rains a lot where I live, and with mailmen running in and out of the rain...I'd imagine the ink would run off sooner or later.

May 26, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #58 of 66
Quote:

tn_DSC05305.jpg

Ah, me..... Vertigo-1 ..... this simple and mysterious pen tempted me to look into the Nakaya site. Oh, my! I've seen many beautiful pens, but the Nakaya pens tug at my heart. Sigh.

Doomed.
tongue.gif

Oh! ... and the Nakaya site is a joy to wander through. Thanks!

Jun 1, 2006 at 12:19 PM Post #60 of 66
Well, finally got my bottle of Noodler's Luxury Blue. I've gotta say...it's awesome and actually works as advertised. After writing a sentence on Ampad Gold Fiber notebook paper (highly recommended BTW for FPs so that your inks don't feather, it's a heavy bond high quality paper available at Officemax), I took a well dampened water filled paper towel and swept it right over the sentence, and it didn't faze the ink one bit...it didn't even run! The same thing done to any other average FP ink would've completely turned the sentence into a runny inky unintelligeable mess. The color isn't bad either, it's a true blue with no hints of purple (despite it looking very purple while in the bottle), but is a bit on the lighter side as far as shading. Not a rich deep blue or dark blue. The downside is that this is definitely not cheap ink...it comes in a one ounce bottle which is quite small that costs $13.50. I'd estimate maybe 30 fillings if you completely filled an international sized cartridge up.

Filled up my recent Dani Trio aluminum pen with Luxury Blue and the pen is great...took about 5 seconds for the ink to flow from the converter, which is mighty impressive...I've had pens cost 10 times more that took all sorts of coaxing before the ink would flow. Nib is buttery smooth too. I'm happy.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back