Looking for a n every day fountain pen
May 13, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #16 of 66
Heh, so it's a discontinued and much soughted after item eh? I thought they are still in production pen, that's why I was thinking for 5000 yen (from the sticker on the picture) for the pen was pretty good price.
Oh well, out of my reach then.
tongue.gif

May 13, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #17 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
My favorite grab-and-go pen is the Parker 51. Don't bother with the new ones- they're all cartridge/converter. The early Vacuumatics are awfully cool and should satisfy your desire for a piston-filler. You can spend $50-$300 (or more, if you want something mint and rare) on one of these. $30 or so will get one rebuilt; the diaphragm eventually goes out. Don't be afraid of vintage. I've used 51s daily for over 8 years. They don't leak.

Also in vintage, take a look at the Pelikan P1. It was their answer to the 51, which was stealing their sales. Much overlooked, but an excellent pen. I love mine.

If you want a new pen, take a look at Aurora. I think the 88 is a very nice piston filler and I've got a black Optima that I'm quite attached to. Vintage 88s are a little harder to come by, but they're superb pens.

Another brand you may like is Omas. The Paragon line is pricey, but you can get one of their excellent nibs in the Ogiva collection at a much more reasonable price.

Another good company with piston fillers is Stipula. They're not terribly well known in the US, but their pens are excellent. My favorite nibs, without question. They have a neat model called the "21" with a titanium nib that I like a lot. If you can find a crescent filler Novecento, those are great. Daily, I use a Stipula Etruria. Great pen.

If you want a great pen that's a little obscure, take a look at Kaweco. It's German pen, and I don't believe it was ever marketed in the US. They made a number of piston models. Build quality is quite good. They're overlooked by many, but they are solid writers you can use every day.

I did not realize that the old Parker "51" was selling for so much money. I have a mint set which new (about 50 years ago
biggrin.gif
) sold for $17.50 Here is a pic.

Parker51.jpg

May 14, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #18 of 66
I would just like to say that Vertigo-1 is awesome!
wink.gif

Oh joy oh joy, for newly discovered treasures. Come to me little Myu...

Edit: Oh and I have a Parker 51 too. Very nice.

May 20, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #19 of 66
Isleepnir,

what are the model designations of the two fountain pens displayed in your first post?

I am also looking for a fountain pen for everyday use, preferably a rather thick and short design, and cheap. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

May 20, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #21 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
eBay Auction for Myu

Lookie-loo! It's already up to $80 or so!

Man, what a sexy pen.

Man - I want one of those.

May 21, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #23 of 66
Wowzers...that 425 looks way better in a real life pic than it does in promotional pics. That's a sweet pic of it, really shows off the depth of its green and the polished shine of the silver. It looks way too subdued in the promotional pics.

Hmmmmmmmmm.............

*wallet starts edging away...*
very_evil_smiley.gif

I rather like the 625 myself...quite expensive unfortunately. Pelikan's on a roll with their recent sterling silver accented pens.

PE_625_blueSilver_fp.jpg

May 21, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #24 of 66
Yes, that 625 is also a beauty...But it is one of the 600, a bit bigger that the 400...(I like small pens, comfy to carry in a shirt pocket). See for sizes:
groessen.gif

They are all good piston writers, and you get to choose size. And you can get them cheaper in ebay (taking some risks, of course).

May 21, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #26 of 66
Well, I just got myself a Rotring 600/Newton in "Lava" black finish off eBay.
biggrin.gif
Payed 26 Euros, not too shabby. I have used a few Rotring 600 pens (pencils, ballpoints) over the years, always liked the heft and form-follows-function shape of their brass bodies, reminding me of some of the surgical instruments I use on the job. I hope my new fountain pen follows this tradition. Apparently, it employs a ss nib with iridium tip.

600_fp.jpg

I read somewhere that nibs can be customized for added smoothness. Is this an expensive thing to do? How about inks? Do they make a difference in terms of smoothness? What would be good contenders? I read Waterman ink is supposed to be nice?

BTW: Cheers for talking me into yet another impulse purchase. You guys suck!
evil_smiley.gif

May 21, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #27 of 66
I use montblanc ink for all of my pens. It is the best ink that I have found.

I also have the Rotring 600. I love it. It is built like a tank. I have had mine for over 10 years.

May 22, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #28 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
Well, I just got myself a Rotring 600/Newton in "Lava" black finish off eBay.

I have a whole set in lava too! The bad part is that the lava finish wears away, and becomes smooth and shiny. Sorry, should have warned you in advance. It's a nice finish though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
I read somewhere that nibs can be customized for added smoothness. Is this an expensive thing to do?

Yes they can. I had my nib sent to John Mottishaw at http://www.nibs.com . THey also sell a lot of pens, like Omas, Pelikan, Pilot/Namiki, and Sailor. I'm looking to pick up a Sailor 1911 with a Music nib for a friend.

Specifically, I had my Pilot Vanishing Point nib retipped into a stub point, and their work is great. Smoothest writing pen I have after retipping. He can customize it for ink flow as well. Also performs nib repairs. It cost me around $40 to $50 for the regrind, but it was SOO worth it.

More info at: http://www.nibs.com/repairs.html

May 22, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #29 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
eBay Auction for Myu

Lookie-loo! It's already up to $80 or so!

Man, what a sexy pen.

I was able to pick up one of these for myself. And yes, it's quite teh sexzors. It's so NOS that I want to get a used one just to use it....

May 22, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #30 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinchy
I have a whole set in lava too! The bad part is that the lava finish wears away, and becomes smooth and shiny. Sorry, should have warned you in advance. It's a nice finish though!

frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back