Looking for a n every day fountain pen
May 12, 2006 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

iSleipnir

1000+ Head-Fier
I really like fountain pens, I have a couple Pelikan pens but nothing that I would use every day. I'm looking for a cheap but smooth writing fountain pen with a .5mm nib and a piston filling chamber. I absolutely hate those replacable cartriges. I was thinking something black and silver and sleek. Pretty specific, I know. But I'm really tired and I have a final at 9am tomorrow and I can't sleep and this sentence doesn't make sense. Oh well. Thanks in advance for any replies.

something in a style like this:
BP_FP_Set_500.jpg
or this:
pelikan_150_black_med2.jpg

and just for fun because I'm tired, this is the one I own and it is my baby. Pelikan M605
Dark_Blue_ST_FP_5008.jpg

May 12, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 66
The BEST everyday fountain pen: depends on how much you want to spend.. My personal recommendations:

CHEAP
- Parker Vector Fountain Pen. Very cheap (I've gotten it for as little as $3). I haven't seen them in the stores anymore, but you can get them on Ebay. I've gotten like a bundle of 7 of them for like $15 before... One of my old favorites.

More expensive
- Namiki Vanishing Point fountain pen (by Pilot). About $100. But it's awesome. Click to retract the tip. I have one of these and had the nib modified and retipped to write a little smoother.

Edit: Here's a pic. Black and silver and sleek. I have the Black Carbonesque one.
vanishfull.jpg

May 12, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 66
OK, normally I don't bother with this, and I'm prepared for people to angrily tell me to piss off with my nit-picking, but it's not just that you've misused the word "everyday" (as is so common) - you actually misused both "every day" and "everyday."

"Every day," in the title, should be the adjective "everyday," meaning "common" or "for non-special use," etc.

"Everyday," in the first sentence," should be the two words "every day" (just as in "every week" or "every year").

You may now start preparing your sarcastic remarks about the unwelcome "spelling police."

May 12, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinchy
The BEST everyday fountain pen: depends on how much you want to spend.. My personal recommendations:

CHEAP
- Parker Vector Fountain Pen. Very cheap (I've gotten it for as little as $3). I haven't seen them in the stores anymore, but you can get them on Ebay. I've gotten like a bundle of 7 of them for like $15 before... One of my old favorites.

More expensive
- Namiki Vanishing Point fountain pen (by Pilot). About $100. But it's awesome. Click to retract the tip. I have one of these and had the nib modified and retipped to write a little smoother.

Edit: Here's a pic. Black and silver and sleek. I have the Black Carbonesque one.
vanishfull.jpg

I am so pissed! Last week I lost my Namiki Vanishing Point in Blue. I am sure I left it in one of the conference rooms, but of course no one saw anything
mad.gif

May 12, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMHBAT
"Every day," in the title, should be the adjective "everyday," meaning "common" or "for non-special use," etc.

"Everyday," in the first sentence," should be the two words "every day" (just as in "every week" or "every year").

Awesome! I think I used it correctly. Woo woo!
biggrin.gif

Edit: Dude Mrarroyo, that totally sucks. You should keep listening for it. They make a pretty substantive and unique click. Although the person who stole it probably would be smart to not use it in the place it was stolen....

May 12, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 66
Quote:

OK, normally I don't bother with this, and I'm prepared for people to angrily tell me to piss off with my nit-picking, but it's not just that you've misused the word "everyday" (as is so common) - you actually misused both "every day" and "everyday."

You may now start preparing your sarcastic remarks about the unwelcome "spelling police."

actually, it bothered me, too!

i'm usually lax about spelling/grammar stuff in the replies, but at least get the spelling correct in the title...

May 12, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #10 of 66
The Parker Frontier Flighter would be right up your alley. I love mine, it's one of my favorites to grab as an everyday pen...smooth writer, built tough, looks good, light in the shirt pocket, and a nice looking clip. If you're willing to spend into the $50s then you should also look at the Lamy Studio in stainless steel finish. Both of these pens have nice rubber grips too, not something you see too much in fountain pens.

There's also the Pilot Myu if you're willing to go all out...
wink.gif
A highly desirable all stainless steel pen that has a really cool integrated nib. It doubles as a great workhorse pen as well, the nib is smooth and provides trouble free writing every time.

four_diagonal.JPG

The Myu and Frontier are my two grab-as-I-run-out-the-door fountain pens.

May 13, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 66
Quote:

I hope his final's not in English.

May 13, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #12 of 66
My favorite grab-and-go pen is the Parker 51. Don't bother with the new ones- they're all cartridge/converter. The early Vacuumatics are awfully cool and should satisfy your desire for a piston-filler. You can spend $50-$300 (or more, if you want something mint and rare) on one of these. $30 or so will get one rebuilt; the diaphragm eventually goes out. Don't be afraid of vintage. I've used 51s daily for over 8 years. They don't leak.

Also in vintage, take a look at the Pelikan P1. It was their answer to the 51, which was stealing their sales. Much overlooked, but an excellent pen. I love mine.

If you want a new pen, take a look at Aurora. I think the 88 is a very nice piston filler and I've got a black Optima that I'm quite attached to. Vintage 88s are a little harder to come by, but they're superb pens.

Another brand you may like is Omas. The Paragon line is pricey, but you can get one of their excellent nibs in the Ogiva collection at a much more reasonable price.

Another good company with piston fillers is Stipula. They're not terribly well known in the US, but their pens are excellent. My favorite nibs, without question. They have a neat model called the "21" with a titanium nib that I like a lot. If you can find a crescent filler Novecento, those are great. Daily, I use a Stipula Etruria. Great pen.

If you want a great pen that's a little obscure, take a look at Kaweco. It's German pen, and I don't believe it was ever marketed in the US. They made a number of piston models. Build quality is quite good. They're overlooked by many, but they are solid writers you can use every day.

May 13, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #13 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
There's also the Pilot Myu if you're willing to go all out...
wink.gif
A highly desirable all stainless steel pen that has a really cool integrated nib. It doubles as a great workhorse pen as well, the nib is smooth and provides trouble free writing every time.

four_diagonal.JPG

The Myu and Frontier are my two grab-as-I-run-out-the-door fountain pens.

Dude, that's so awesome! Seriously... I'm gonna get one.

May 13, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #15 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Yeah, especially the second (striped) one. Looks like it's around 5,000 yen-ish. Pretty affordable.

You wish.
tongue.gif
Try $350-500 for the black striped Myu, IF you can even find one. They show up on Ebay very infrequently, and when they do they inevitably skyrocket to insane prices, particularly if it's a NOS with sticker. The most affordable one is the 3rd one, the long Murex, and it runs for around $125 on average. The one that really made this pen famous is the first one, plain unadorned stainless steel through and through...they run for $150-160 nowdays. Like I said, these are highly desirable pens, particularly because they've been discontinued loooong ago.

Now...if you're still interested in one after the sticker shock...feel free to contact me and I can point you to a guy that can get the plain Myu and Murex NOS, for the prices I mentioned.
wink.gif

A similar pen that also has an integrated nib is the Parker 50 "Falcon"...they go on average for about $80.

falconss1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back