Looking for a music player
Aug 20, 2008 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FateXT

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a portable music player to be used without AMP. I would like it to have above 35 hours of battery, supports flac, has good sound for New Age and Asian Pop music.

Actually the recording function is quite important, I will be using it for lectures in college.

Aug 20, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 8
The Cowon D2 will meet your specs for FLAC support, battery life and good sound. Use warm/ bassy phones with it to enjoy pop music more. It has a recording ability but a very tiny built-in mic which I think may not work great for recording lectures. You need to purchase a separate line-in cable to attach an external mic.

You can read the review (and the part about recording quality) here;

Cowon iAudio D2 Review

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 8
You may want to instead look into a product that primarily records but can also play back music, like the Kenwood recorder unit or an Edirol. IMHO most DAPs still-in-production have mediocre-to-terrible recording functionality.

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 8
I have an old iAudio U3, and it is surprisingly good in the recording department. I use it weekly, and the mic, though tiny, has impressive range and sensitivity. The iAudio 7 should perform quite similarly, or better, since it's the next generation after the U3. I think as long as you sit up front in class, you will be fine.

Just one caveat: with the mic sensitivity on high, leave it in a position where you don't touch it during recording, because it will sound annoyingly microphonic on the recording. Same advice goes for moving papers around it etc.

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #8 of 8
i7 and D2 don't need an amp, and the recording feature is actually very good on the i7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back