Looking for a medicore DAC
Nov 25, 2008 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Qonmus

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all.

I'm getting a new laptop, and I know the onboard is going to be awful, so I'm looking around at a decent external sound card, but decided to just go with a decent DAC instead.

I like the look of the Total BitHead, and wouldn't mind spending that much, but I'd like to spend a little less if at all possible.

Anybody have any recommendations?

Also, I'll be using Vista64. I really hope this will be all right.

I use HD555's.

Thanks!
o2smile.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 7
Ideally, you'll want a DAC and an amplifier for your headphones. The Total BitHead integrates both amplifier and DAC in one, so its actually a great option for you. Another option around your price range is the Fubar III:
Fubar III USB DAC / Headphone Amplifier - USB DAC - Headphone Amp - USB Audio - Headphone Amplifier

Keep your eyes open for things in the for sale forums here. Heres what I saw just glancing that might work:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...ac-amp-377867/

Last option might be getting an Alien USB DAC and a separate, inexpensive amplifier.

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 7
AMB's new y1 dac will be out soon. But that would be the DIY route and require some solder

I saw some alien DAC's already assembled up for less than $90 USD. They run plug and play straight off USB.

Sorry my responses are biased b/c I'm a DIY junkie
biggrin.gif

EDIT: and ya ryan is right. A DAC/AMP combo might not be a bad idea.

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 7
All right guys, thanks.

Looks like right now, the total bitamp is leading. I like the Fubar, but its more than I'm willing to spend on this particular piece of equipment right now.

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 7
And by "medicore" do you mean "mediocre?" I was just about to start searching through medical supply catalogs
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back