Looking for a laptop (again)
Oct 20, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #16 of 23
Nov 13, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #18 of 23
I like Thinkpads. Since I do computer stuff for a living it doesn't matter how bad the support is - I usually fix it myself.

Some manufacturers, like Lenovo, do not like when you put in a generic hard disk into their machine. At the very least you will get a message on every boot-up that you have a non-supported hard disk in the machine. Swap-out is a one-screw affair.

Lenovo laptops have eject buttons with which you can remove the DVD/CD drive.

I would suggest you purchase enough memory for your purposes if you're getting a Lenovo since upgrading memory involves removing the keyboard, touchpad and the palmrest (10+ screws and an origami operation of putting it back together)

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #19 of 23
I'm very happy with my MacBook.
I'd had a 3.0 ghz hp laptop before but to be honest, the macbook runs faster and most importantly, is more portable because it is small and lightweight.
The hp laptop was huge and way to heavy to lug around campus.

If you're buying the laptop to replace a desktop though,
I'd advise going with one with a bigger screen.......and bigger key board....gotta take care of your eyes and hands.

but a laptop is not as convenient as a desktop for at home use imo. everyone in my house fights over the desktop bc the laptop is so inconvenient (smaller, not as comfortable to use, heats up, slower, more fragile, etc.)

good luck : )

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #22 of 23
i just thought i might share my advice from experience: AVOID APPLE.

honestly, my friend and i have been through several apple laptops (macbooks and macbook pros). there was always some sort of flaw with the notebook. the most common flaw for macbooks (not the new aluminum ones; look at mbp issues) are bad lid fitment when closed, terrible typing keyboard.

for macbook pro and the new aluminums:
look out for crooked lid/screen. typically the older macbook pros suffer from U shaped. the new aluminum macbook/macbook pros suffer this crooked lid on the left side. another issue is the infamous keyboard problem where when typing, certain keys would not respond until press hard or twice. there are a long list in a wiki somewhere.

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #23 of 23
Well, I've always avoided Apple computers for reasons of principle as well as irrational dislike of the company. Though I do have an iPod. I never knew their computers were actually so bad... they always look so nice, at least, and their users seem to love them (usually).

And I never buy from little companies. My brother and cousin bought no-name laptops four or five years ago and they both had the most ridiculous problems. The monitor fell off on one (the hinges broke), and the other one was covered in mold within two years or so. Then there were overheating issues, etc. I had a no-name desktop seven years ago which was fitted with a mobo fan not rated for operation with my processor... which proceeded to melt within a month. I had to send the mobo back, get a new one, and then put the chip on myself. So I personally have never trusted the little companies since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back