Looking for a "Jack of all trades"
Jul 14, 2012 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jonnio

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for some help from the experts here -- I think I have narrowed it down to a couple of options, but I am not sure that there is one headphone that can do all I want it to.  Actually, I am sure there isn't, but I am not sure which one I should start with.

My listening habbits:
Music is a total crap shoot depending on my mood, everything from classical to rap (probably the most is top 40, country and classic rock).  
I also watch a lot of movies on airplanes and would like them to support pc/xbox gaming through my Astro MixAmp

Sources - Music is iPhone on the road and computer or squeezebox at home, movies will be primarily from my ipad, and gaming will be exclusively through the Astro Mixamp for Dolby Headphone.

I am currently using Shure E3Cs most of the time and Brainwavz M4 when I think I might be getting phone calls.   I like the Shure's quite a bit, but am looking to branch out into some cans vs. iem.

I had originally planned on getting some 558s based on the rave reviews from the gaming world, but I am sure the open design will make them unusable for a lot of my listening, so I am now looking at HD 25-1 II and the MS 400 Moderna.  I love the idea of ANC and the microphone/push button cable of the Beats Pro, but I am willing to give up those options for better headphones.  Budget is comfortable up to $200 and can go up to $300 with a little bit of "boss" convincing.

Can the HD-25s or MS-400s be a jack of all trades like I am looking for, or is there something else that I should consider, maybe even an option with the bells and whistles of the Beats, but the quality of the Sennheiser or Phiaton?  I am not opposed to a headphone/amp combo, but would still like to stay in the same price range.

Thanks for the help!

Jul 14, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #2 of 13
I think you would want to stay well away from the HD25s for anything relaxing.
I presume you're after headphones and not earphones? Fa-003 and their clones are generally good all rounders.
Check this thread out, by the way. It may help if you're a big gamer: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-7-14-2012-ultrasone-pro-900-added

Jul 14, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
I think you would want to stay well away from the HD25s for anything relaxing.
I presume you're after headphones and not earphones? Fa-003 and their clones are generally good all rounders.
Check this thread out, by the way. It may help if you're a big gamer: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-7-14-2012-ultrasone-pro-900-added

Yes, I was mainly thinking about going with some headphones to compliment (or replace) my Shure's.  I will look at the FA-003.

Thanks for that other thread too - gaming is secondary for me, but it can't hurt to read more reviews!

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 13
The jack of all trades is some ridiculous sextuple balanced armature custom like the JH13, UE18 or UM Miracle. But in your price range I would recommend the Branwavz B2

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for all the replies - The V-moda somehow missed my list, but they look pretty dang good.  I wish the over the ear Crossfades had as good a sound quality, but I will probably be giving the M-80 a shot and see how well my ears react to an on the ear phone.  I can't imagine this will be my last headphone purchase, so I mainly want something as a good starting point so I can learn and refine my needs.

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies - The V-moda somehow missed my list, but they look pretty dang good.  I wish the over the ear Crossfades had as good a sound quality, but I will probably be giving the M-80 a shot and see how well my ears react to an on the ear phone.  I can't imagine this will be my last headphone purchase, so I mainly want something as a good starting point so I can learn and refine my needs.

Both on ears and over ears can be comfortable, or not.

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #11 of 13
KRK KNS-8400, SRH840, I find can play anything you throw at them well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back