Looking for a Headset that can do Bluetooth for calls with AUX for music at the same time
May 5, 2021 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ewheeler

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I just joined and this is my first post!

I used to use a Turtlebeach X12 headset with my desk phone which allowed me to talk to customers at the same time that I listen to music with independent volume controls. It had a 2.5mm headset "chat" plug w/ 3.5mm for music and it worked great, until:

Recently I replaced my desk phone (Grandstream GXP2170) and it doesn't have a 2.5mm jack---just an RJ9 (for which I've tried many 2.5mm adapters without success)---but it does support Bluetooth.

Here is the desired goal: Play music and talk on the phone at the same. ANC would be nice. Over-the-ear is a must or my ears get sore.

So I looked around and it seems that very few Bluetooth+AUX headsets will support simultaneous use, usually AUX takes priority.

What would you suggest?

-Eric
KJ7LNW

May 5, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 8
My Audeze Mobius does this.

May 5, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 8
My Audeze Mobius does this.
yeah and it's $400, however I did buy it because the mic quality is excellent.... but most BT headsets even a lot of ANC ones have aux inputs and mics just most of them are pretty horrible... so TBH you are looking for good mic quality vs anything else as a main concern you can buy stuff from $20 to $300+ with BT and aux connector and most come with mics (bad mics)

EDIT just re-read OP's post and you don't have to have AUC infact not even aware of one that does dual like that BUT the ANKER Q30 has dual bluetooth connections so you can listen to two bluetooth connections at the same time.... the mid however is not good so I would keep an open mind and consider options like that with DUAL bluetooth and for the record it's a great sounding and noise cancelling for the price perhaps a modmic or wireless modmic on it wouldn't be out of the question

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 8
Here is the desired goal: Play music and talk on the phone at the same. ANC would be nice. Over-the-ear is a must or my ears get sore.

So I looked around and it seems that very few Bluetooth+AUX headsets will support simultaneous use, usually AUX takes priority.

What would you suggest?

-Eric
KJ7LNW
Same. my three criteria for headphones are a) Bluetooth b) syncs up with video well for youtube c) the ability to mix audio from apps and calls at the same time.

The issue seems to be primarily the use of the microphone. As soon as it's engaged you can only do the call, or you can listen to audio. I solved this by using an external mic:
* First I just used the mic on my laptop, which works well unless I'm near my fan in which case it sounds like I'm in a datacenter
* I was using the V-MODA BoomPro Microphone attached to my avantree aria pro, but I had taken to just dangling it off the laptop pointed at me; balances well enough and now I'm not "wired" to my wireless headphones :eyeroll:
* First I used to just set headphones (windows 10) as Default Sound / Default Communications, and set the mic as the Default Recording device. When in Zoom / Skype / Google Meets I would just choose the headphones as the audio output and the microphone as the audio input. This even works with Citrix where I remote into my desktop at the office.
* More recently I've taken to disabling the 'headset' in my audio devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back