Looking for a good set of closed cans.
Sep 12, 2010 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bentwookiee

Head-Fier
Hi everyone

I'm new here, but I've been reading a lot of the posts and there are alot of people with a lot of great information to provide.  This site is amazing!

My brother recently made me a mini^3 and and a gamma1 and lent me a pair of Grado SR125s.  Before I was using AKG k27i and I had no idea what I was missing :)  Now after hearing what the Grados can do, I want to upgrade my closed cans to something better.

I'm looking for suggestions/information on what headphones would be best for me.  I'll be mainly listening to my iPod or laptop, but using the mini^3 amp (and the DAC if required).  I listen to all types of music, but the type of music I listen to most are:
Rock: The Decemberists, Muse, Foo Fighters, Wintersleep, Hawksley Workman, Radiohead etc
Folk Rock: The Avett Brothers, Mumford & Sons, Josh Ritter, Iron and Wine, etc
Other bands: Bedouin Soundclash, Postal Service, Ben Harper, etc

I've gone into the store to try out:
Ultrasone HFI 780
Shure SRH840
Audio Technica ATH-M50

I liked all 3 and couldn't decide with one was better....but that might be a case of my newbie ears.  Anyone have thoughts on which of these would suit my music tastes best?  Or have any other suggestions?

Oh I should also mention I'm thinking about spending around $200 but could go up to $300.

Thanks

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 10
Out of those options I would go M50 or Ultrasone I mean Shure.  Depending on which sounds better to your brain.

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 10
So which of the 3 headphones that you tried was the most comfy - that you could see yourself wearing 4-6 hours a day? Comfort is a fairly personal choice - not everyone determines comfort and discomfort the same way - we're not all the same.
Quote:
I should also mention that comfort is a big factor as well, since I plan on wearing these around 4-6 hours a day.

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 10
Do you want a headphone that's more neutral or just more fun with a lot of bass? If you want a fun headphone that fairly comfortable, then I'd get the M50. I find them too bass heavy though and there's a few negatives about them that keep me from recommending them more.

The SRH-840 is a bit more neutral, but is slightly more detailed with less bass. It does not have light bass at all, but maybe compared to the M50. The problem with these is that they're very heavy and the highs bug me a bit for some reason after about 1-2 hours. For this reason the M50s may be better for very long listening.

If you like a neutral headphone that's still fun, I now prefer the Koss Pro DJ 100 over all these. To me, they sound better then both of them and have my perfect sound signature. The mid-range is perfect and I found they do vocals just as good as the SRH-840, but even better then the M50, especially with female vocals. Basically everything sounds pretty natural and for a closed headphone the soundstage is surprisingly good. Instrument separation is the best i've heard outside the DT-880. A couple people say these are bass light, but I don't agree at all. The bass is comparable to the SRH-840, but maybe has a bit less. Lately I use my EQ to boost it by just 2db and that helps, but it's totally not needed. To me, they sound like a mix between the DT-880 and a Grado SR-80 without the fatiguing highs. The level of detail is better then the SR-80, but not the DT-880. It's somewhere in between. To me, they're perfect for rock music and bands like Pearl Jam I think. People who like the Porta Pros may like these. The highs though may be a bit rolled off, but I prefer this since I listen to music for long hours. BTW they're only $80! Sadly, only JR.com and Best Buy sells them.

Unfortunately you need an amp to sound their best and they need to be burned in first of course. I use mine with the Total Airhead and it's a perfect match. The second reason I'm suggesting them is that they are very light and comfortable. They weigh only 6.7oz without the cable I think it was.

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
So which of the 3 headphones that you tried was the most comfy - that you could see yourself wearing 4-6 hours a day? Comfort is a fairly personal choice - not everyone determines comfort and discomfort the same way - we're not all the same.

When I tried them out, I think the M50s were the most comfortable, with the SRH840's coming in a close second.  However, I only had them on for 10-15 minutes at a time, so I wasn't sure what long term wear would feel like.  For example, I find my AKG K27i comfortable at first, but after about 1 hour of wearing them, I feel them pressing on my ears a bit too much.

But you are correct, we are not all the same, so I guess I should try them out again and really focus on how they feel on my next next time.

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 10
840 are very flat in sound, while m50 and 780 are colored.
some complain that 840 are heavy, putting pressure on their head. m50 is light, but m50 ear pad is thin, so ppl put 840 ear pads are m50. 780 i dont know.

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 10
x2. As much as I like SRH840 I also prefer the sound of Denons (D5000/D70000).  To my ears, the D5000 might not even be as clear (mids) and controlled (bass) as the Shures, but their expansive soundstage makes music more involving and immersive.  After a few months of listening to the Denons, I went back to the Shures and they sounded flat in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back