Looking for a "good quality
Aug 24, 2006 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Spatulaorama

New Head-Fier
Hello, here’s my first post, and I’m pretty new to the world of good quality headphones. Unfortunately for most of my life, I’ve used those pesky and very painful ear bud type things of terror, which my ears will never forgive me.

About four years ago, my mom bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 495’s. Of course this is the first time I ever heard of “good quality” headphones, so when I tried them on, needless to say, I was blown away. What’s even funnier is that the model was on sale and was NO where near the top tier quality stuff that Sennheiser nor any other manufacturer had to offer, but it suited me for our budget at that time, and I was happy.

Since then, I’ve felt it’s time to step up a bit. My HD 495’s don’t seem to function anymore; one side doesn’t produce any sound whatsoever, and the L side where the plug is, seems extremely staticky. This is probably due to some broken wires due to misuse or or something, since my kid sister also (mis)uses it sometimes. I’m basically looking for a step up (or several steps) up for a corded headphone.

Here’s my following criteria:

•Price range of $100 to $200 Canadian – so about $90 to 180 USD, but if I have to spend a little bit more, then that’s okay, as long as it’s paying off well in terms of value.

•Peferrably by Sennheiser, as after experiencing their “economy” range models, I’d love to try out higher tier stuff.

•Not an audiophile really. As a matter of fact, I really can’t distinguish every nuance each headphone has to offer, I’m still a novice in this field and quite ignorant in headphone knowledge. So a Sennheiser 555 or a 590 or even a 600 might all sound equal to my untrained ears.

•Used mainly for watching DVDs and movies on my TV set, listening to music on my computer, and ESPECIALLY for video game usage.

•Portability is NOT an issue, these headphones will stay in the house and will basically never be taken outside.

•Doesn’t absolutely need an amplifier. I just want to use something better than my 495’s or even *gasp* those super-cheap headphones that came with the $49 discman from Walmart, oh no!

•I want something my ears can “grow” into, and not have to keep “upgrading” every few years. I’d like a high quality headphone that I’ll be using for well, let’s say a very long time.

•I’d like the headphones to not “overheat” too too much with only a few hours of usage. Sometimes I like to wear these at least maybe 5-6 hours at a stretch (with low volume, of course).

•Besides using it for general multimedia usage, I like to listen to classical pieces, some jazz, rock, pop-rock, and orchestrated music.

A few models I’m interested in:

Sennheiser HD 515 - $150 at Futureshop. These seem pretty good, but I read the reviews and it gave the HD 555’s a perfect score:

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-555.php

The 555’s are selling at $200 CDN at Futureshop/Bestbuy.

Here’s a few questions I have after observing my 495’s.

1)Do your ear pads tend to smell and give off well, a sweaty odor from months and years of usage? Maybe I should dry my hair to rid of the foul smell my ear pieces have collected. My 495’s reek pretty bad, but at least my ears don’t have “noses”.

2)What do you think has caused my 495’s to crap out on me? I think it must be a severed wire from the L to R, so the R is non-functional.

3)As I live in Canada, it looks like repair and technical support for Sennheiser products are pretty hard to come by. If I want to send it there and get it fixed, whatever the problem may be, I think I’d rather spend the money on a new set

4)How long as your headphone set has lasted you? Despite the burn in effect, does it still seem in it’s prime to your ears?

5)Any other “by the ropes” stuff I should know about? I never knew that you should disconnect your headphones when the source is at lowest volume or completely off to not “shock” the plug. Maybe this was the cause of my 495’s biting the dust.

Aug 24, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 14
The Sennheiser HD595s seem to fit your criteria, and can be had from shipdog for around $160.

Aug 24, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 14
Beyer DT250-80,no amp required,closed,$200 Canadian(Steves Music,Toronto)

Good luck.Sorry about the wallet.
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai
The Sennheiser HD595s seem to fit your criteria, and can be had from shipdog for around $160.

Yeah... either that or HD555's or HD580's. I don't remember much from the last time I heard the 555's... I think the general consensus is that they're pretty warm. I really like the 595 sound for home-theater purposes, and the 580's are probably better suited to your tastes in classical, jazz, and orchestral.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Btw, have you looked into replacement pads? I'll put up with ugly headphones, but stinky headphones cross the line. (Still not as bad as people who lick their IEMs though... buhhh.)

Aug 24, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 14
normally i would call in the HD595

However, the HD580 has earpads and cables that can be replaced for cheap; making them a very very very good long term choice. Just make sure that you dont connect them to a weak source.

Aug 24, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #7 of 14
I have tried senns, akgs and grados in that price range and i find that the grados are the best sounding cans BUT they would be a stupid choice for classical music.

The sennheiser hd 485 and hd 555 sound quite similar but the the 555 seems to be a lot better sounding. The main problem it has though is veiled highs but as you said you are not an audiophile and i think the 555s would fit the bill without going overboard.

I find that with sennheiser the good (cheap) models sound similar and the hd 555s do not sound all that different to some other cheaper models although the main difference in sound headphones is in sound signature and particular models that are complete garbage. Do not buy the hd 515s, the 485s sound much better and are cheaper.

If you were going to listen to mostly classical music i would reccomend the senns (hd 485 or 555) over the grados but for just about anything else i would reccomend the grado/alessandro ms1 (100 usd) or the sr225 (200 usd) for a better sound. Also the senns will be better at games.

I hope this has been helpful!!!
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #8 of 14
If you primarily watch movies and play games, i'd recommend the 555's over the 595's. For music the 595's are more enjoyable.

The 580's paired with a cheap amp might be right for you as well.

Aug 24, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 14
A word of caution from a fellow Canadian - beyond the fact that Grado's definitely sound like the wrong choice for your usage, Grado Labs also keep tight restrictions on their distributors.

In otherwords, while you can get a set of (amazing) SR225s for $200USD, you are much more likely to find a price closer to $300 CDN, since only Canadian resellers can sell to Canadians (eBay is another story). Don't feel too bad about that though. You should see what they go for in Europe and Asia!

Getting back to your choices, I can definitely recommend the 555 as well. a few bonus points: Buy from Futureshop and try them out. If you don't like them, take them back! If you do like them, take them back and buy them from an e-tailer that has a GOOD price.

Aug 24, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 14
The HD555s can be had for 163 at Axe Music.

NCIX has the hd595 for roughy 247 but they do have the option of paying via electronic billing from your bank account. If the option is open to you, though, I'd recommend against buying Sennheisers from canadian retailers; the markup they get here is unacceptable at times.

Aug 24, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spatulaorama
This is probably due to some broken wires due to misuse or or something, since my kid sister also (mis)uses it sometimes.

go Team: Kid Sisters
biggrin.gif

as far as the (eeeeeww yuch) smell on the old cans, wash or replace the earpads. Quickly! lol

someone in may be nice and fix the (likely) faulty wiring for you cheap . . . IF you clean them first
tongue.gif

[size=xx-small](sorry, couldn't resist)[/size]

BTW: Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
Got Watts in my Pocket, Ohms in my Bones.

great tag-line
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #13 of 14
Thanks for your replies guys!

I just was lucky and browsed through the net and found a pair of 555's for $165 CDN and I IMMEDIATELY called them up and told them to put on hold for me. Sooo excited to get out of work today ^___^
3000smile.gif

I like how they are in the same town as me, excellent.

Aug 24, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
The HD555s can be had for 163 at Axe Music.

HAHA! That's where I will be getting mine! can't wait can't wait.

yeah the mark ups are pretty bad, but for $163 CDN that's acceptable, but than "future/rip your money off - shop".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back