Looking for a good pair of headphones without breaking the bank? Also Chinese headphones?
Dec 10, 2017 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

perrymcg

New Head-Fier
Hi. So I'm looking for a headset for my PC for gaming and music. I thought I would post here too see what you guys think. I don't have a great deal of knowledge about this area thought I should ask people who do.

So far I am looking about buying Steel Series Arctis 7. But I'm looking for other suggestions (don't have to be wireless). I also see that there is a lot of chat in here about cost efficient headphones made by Chinese brands? I have no idea where to look for info and when checking the threads the info on the main sticky is outdated I think and by this stage there is hundreds of pages to sift through. If any of you know a bit about this area I'd like to know too? All suggestions are encouraged.

Budget - £100

Source - PC

Requirements for Isolation - At home not a big issue.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Would prefer over ear (but if others are recommended will look).

Preferred tonal balance - Balanced

Past headphones - Cheap headsets not worth mentioning.

Preferred Music - Techno. Rap. RnB.

What would you like to improve on from your set-up - Good overall quality and a decent mic people wont mind listening too (if no mic I'll just buy an attachable one).

Location - From UK.

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 12
Philips SHP9500.

With a budget of £100 it is one of the best options. With the added bonus of a removable 3.5mm cable, you can attach a mic like the boom pro to it and you'll have an amazing bang for the buck headset.

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 12
As you'll gather from a lot of members here, it's better to stay away from gaming headsets and buy a quality headphone instead and figure out a solution for a microphone

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 12
I would second the SHP9500s
Another tip is, when trying to find info start at the end of a very long thread and work backwards...it takes a little time to get the hang of it, but that's the best way to go through a deep thread and get current info.

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 12
I would do that but its the end of semester exams atm. I probably shouldn't be here in the first place haha. I was planning on having a look around. I don't finish up for another week and was looking to buy a new pair of headphones soon. I noticed that everyone says the headphones for gaming are poor compared to normal headphones. I just wasn't sure which was the best option with the small amount of time I have to look around just now. I have had a look at the reviews of some headphones. What do you guys think of the AKG K550 MKII?

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 12
I would do that but its the end of semester exams atm. I probably shouldn't be here in the first place haha. I was planning on having a look around. I don't finish up for another week and was looking to buy a new pair of headphones soon. I noticed that everyone says the headphones for gaming are poor compared to normal headphones. I just wasn't sure which was the best option with the small amount of time I have to look around just now. I have had a look at the reviews of some headphones. What do you guys think of the AKG K550 MKII?
AKG K550 MKII is an excellent closed back headphone, very neutral and one of the best options under £200. The downside is that the cable is non-removable so I still say to go for the SHP9500, it truly is one of the best for the money.

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 12
The reason i mentioned them was that I think I can get a deal for the AKG as they are the last pair in a local richer sounds quoted £99. But it is an on display set so could maybe get them cheaper. Let me know what you think still. The SHP9500s I can get next day on amazon for £100. I'll go for whatever you all think is best.

Dec 10, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 12
I'm gonna go ahead and order tonight then. Its the SHP9500/00 that are on amazon uk. Not sure if that's just a newer model? Also can you recommend a mic? I seen V-MODA BoomPro mic. Its £25. Wouldn't really like to spend anymore than that on my budget.

Dec 10, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 12
SHP9500S is the newer model but there is no difference between it and the original SHP9500. With the SHP9500S they just did some cost cutting stuff like including only 1 cable instead of 2 and not including a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. Just get the original, you won't be losing anything, in fact you'll be gaining an extra cable and an adapter.

As for a mic the BoomPro is pretty hard to pass up at £25, I say go for it and don't look back.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks you've been very helpful. I also got my first pair of good speakers today. I think you commented on my post about those too. I reckon I'm gonna start up an addiction after hearing the difference with a decent pair of speakers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back