Looking for a good pair of cans for running
May 17, 2020 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ultrarunner2018

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys;
I love running with my favorite tunes (mostly clsssic rock). I currently own a pair of Koss PortaPro and use them with my LG Fiesta 2 phone.
The sound is pretty good for about $35, but I am annoyed that they have a 'plasticy' sound when I run. I guess I can't really expect great build quality for such a low price, but these are the best I have used so far.

I enjoy a 'true' sound rather than over-emphasized bass or treble. The PortaPro sometimes have too much bass, causing trebles to sound muddy. I can compensate for this by changing the EQ settings of my music app, which is Poweramp.

I most definitely prefer over the ears to in ear, as the in ear always leave my ears flooded wish sweat after running long and/or hard. I often run 20+ miles.

So, I'm looking for a pair of cans that will be:
1. Light enough that won't cause head/neck fatigue after 20+ miles running
2. Great sound for mostly classic Rock
3. Good build. But I suppose there will be a compromise between good build quality and weight.
4. Comfortable enough to wear for 4+ hours.
5. Preferably foldable, but not absolutely required.
6. Fits the 3.5mm jack on my phone with its hard plastic cover. Even for the Koss PortaPro I had to widen the hole in the case so the jack would seat properly. But if needed, I could buy a dongle with a smaller jack.

Oh, and I almost forgot: I don't want to spend more than about $100-ish.

Thanks for your advice
Ultrarunner

May 17, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 5
I too do a ton of my music listening on the trails. Thing is I wear IEMs. I can certainly recommend some IEMs for running but headphones, not so much.

May 18, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #4 of 5
Actually, the Koss PortaPros that I am using now aren't bad, but they're not constructed very well, and have a lot of 'plasticy' sound as I run. Also, they have a tendency to overemphasize the bass at the expense of treble. If I could use IEMs then my choices would be far more, but as I said, they have always presented problems for me.

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 5
I too do a ton of my music listening on the trails. Thing is I wear IEMs. I can certainly recommend some IEMs for running but headphones, not so much.
I am reconsidering IEM's. Perhaps I can find ones that would work for me. What do you recommend for someone with discriminating ears, but without spending more than about $200.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back