Looking for a few answers and a bit of advice
Oct 25, 2008 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

solessthanthree

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. I've been hanging around here for a while... actually, closer to an unhealthy amount over the last week (but I'm sure that's normal
tongue.gif
)

Anyways, I'm planning to pick up my first set of headphones, the DT770s, and I've been doing some frantic research trying to figure out what to pick up along with them.

Being a college student, I can't really afford anything in the high range area, I just wanted to get started, so I was looking at the LD I+, MKII, and MKIII, (at first I was looking at the CORDA HEADSIX but I from what I read, I wanted to shy away from the portable amp to begin with). My budget's around 100-200 for the amp (I might look for something in the For Sale forum) so I was wondering if anyone would give me any advice on what to look for.

I plan to use the setup on my desktop, which has a soundcard and was wondering if the amp usually comes with an IC or if I would need to pick that up separately. Would DAC be entirely necessary at this point or would I even be able to tell in the beginning?

I guess my ultimate question is that, if I just pick up the headphones and amp would I be able to start listening immediately or would I need to pick up anything else?

Thanks in advance!
jecklinsmile.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 3
You don't even need the amp to start listening immediately. Just plug the cans in to your soundcard.

Now, to better the sound, start with a smaller DAC with a headphone out, like the Zero, and add on an amp when your budget allows. Really though, just a tiny bit stretching and start off with the DAC and an affordable option from Little Dot, which you're looking at, and you may just get bitten by that damn bug.

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the response! :]

I checked out the zero and it looks like a great value for a beginner rig for someone like myself.

So what you're saying is that I should grab something like the Zero for DAC (which would also act as an amp for the time being, right?) which I could then connect to an amp in the future when I decide to upgrade?

If that's the case, where/who's the official retailer for the Zero and what sort of cables would I need to pick up?

Thanks again! :]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back