Looking for a faster DAP upgrade
Feb 16, 2021 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sacguy231

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently using a Fiio M9. It works, has plenty of functionality, but I find the UI navigation, searching in my library, and the general operation is just glacial (compared to my phone at least). I suppose it just comes down to processing power limitations. I have the latest firmware, and about 400 GB of music on it - it's a good amount of music but supposedly not near the limits of what it should be able to handle. My prior Fiio (can't remember the model) was older and worse on the speed front. Anyone have advice for a reasonably priced newer model that has good features/specs that a meaningful, worthwhile speed increase? The slow speed is just so frustrating I find myself not wanting to use it. My iPhone blows the M9 away for speed with a similar library size. Or are portable DAPs still have a way to go before they improve? Thx!

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 15
Thats why i avoid Daps and stick with my LG at the moment. But LG only makes sense for above 50 ohm headphones because it needs 50 ohm to trigger high impedance mode.

I think there's a way to force this with a third party app?

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 15
I'm currently using a Fiio M9. It works, has plenty of functionality, but I find the UI navigation, searching in my library, and the general operation is just glacial (compared to my phone at least). I suppose it just comes down to processing power limitations. I have the latest firmware, and about 400 GB of music on it - it's a good amount of music but supposedly not near the limits of what it should be able to handle. My prior Fiio (can't remember the model) was older and worse on the speed front. Anyone have advice for a reasonably priced newer model that has good features/specs that a meaningful, worthwhile speed increase? The slow speed is just so frustrating I find myself not wanting to use it. My iPhone blows the M9 away for speed with a similar library size. Or are portable DAPs still have a way to go before they improve? Thx!
Hiby R6 2020 or iBasso DX300 both behave like modern smartphones in terms of Processing power and fluidity of the UI. The Hiby R6 Pro, Fiio M11 and M11 Pro are also pretty decent UX/UI wise.

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 15
@sacguy231 Shanling also makes some Android based DAPs the M6 and M6 Pro that are worth checking out. Musicteck, Apos, Audio46, Bloom Audio, Headamp, and Headphones. Com should have most of these available.

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 15
@sacguy231 Shanling also makes some Android based DAPs the M6 and M6 Pro that are worth checking out. Musicteck, Apos, Audio46, Bloom Audio, Headamp, and Headphones. Com should have most of these available.
Thanks! The R6 looks nice and even the M11 would likely prove a decent speed boost.

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 15
Thanks! The R6 looks nice and even the M11 would likely prove a decent speed boost.
I've previously owned both the R6 Pro and the M11/M11 Pro.. The R6 Pro was my favorite of the three models. The Amp was pretty punchy and lively sounding. It made for fun listening sessions with a wide variety of IEMs and low impedance Planars.

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 15
Well, after watching a ton of videos and reading lots of reviews, I ended up snagging a minty M11 for a decent price. I liked the M9 size, but the M11 is significantly faster and should hold me over for a bit (we'll see about that...haha!).

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 15
Well, after watching a ton of videos and reading lots of reviews, I ended up snagging a minty M11 for a decent price. I liked the M9 size, but the M11 is significantly faster and should hold me over for a bit (we'll see about that...haha!).
I think you will enjoy it a lot. Plus it has 2 micro SD card slots.

Feb 20, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #12 of 15
M11 is also more budget friendly as well, with good price to performance....

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #13 of 15
Well, I got the M11 and wow, it's blazing fast compared to my M9. It scanned 25,000 songs in around 10 minutes...something that took over an hour for the M9. Does anyone have good advice for an android music player (free or paid) with a good built in EQ? My dream would be to find a player that has parametric EQ, or preferrable L and R separate EQ, but most music apps (Stellio, Poweramp, etc.) seem to just have one 5 or 10 band EQ with no independent channel control (L and R).

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #14 of 15
Well, I got the M11 and wow, it's blazing fast compared to my M9. It scanned 25,000 songs in around 10 minutes...something that took over an hour for the M9. Does anyone have good advice for an android music player (free or paid) with a good built in EQ? My dream would be to find a player that has parametric EQ, or preferrable L and R separate EQ, but most music apps (Stellio, Poweramp, etc.) seem to just have one 5 or 10 band EQ with no independent channel control (L and R).
USB Audio Player Pro [UAPP] should fit the bill. Worth the purchase from the play store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back