Looking for a DIYer friendly DesktopAmp ... (in terms of Space/PCB Layout/Community-knowledge/etc.)
Mar 24, 2010 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

neopac

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Folks,

I´m pretty curious about getting into the DIY part of audio electronics and take my lack of a decent desktop amp as an opportunity to get me a new toy.

I enjoy my IBasso P3+ amp/buffer/ground rolling sessions alot and wonder if there is something similar in the desktop category. It don´t need to be as easy to do the modifications as in the IBasso, because i´m pretty good at soldering and have decent electrical engineering education (though it´s 10+ Years ago
biggrin.gif
) ... i need something that allows modification in terms of enough space, a modder friendly PCB Layout and things like this ... something like the teradak chameleon ... just as an amp
dt880smile.png

happy about every clue!

neopac

P.S: i´d also consider DIY Kits but not in the first instance
P.P.S: widely pricerange ($200-$700)
P.P.P.S: happy with ss, hybrid, tube .. but it shouldn´t have problems with low imp. phones (30-100Ohm)

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536
amb MMM M^3

hi,

I´m aware of the amb products and i´m sure someday i´ll give the b22 a try ... but the amb products aren´t even a kit with all required components and i´d like to start with something more complete than this (mostly because i want a desktop amp "right now" and chances are good that a "from the scratch" project could take me months to complete). I´m more looking for a built amp that lets you all room for modification.

neopac

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by neopac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi,

I´m aware of the amb products and i´m sure someday i´ll give the b22 a try ... but the amb products aren´t even a kit with all required components and i´d like to start with something more complete than this (mostly because i want a desktop amp "right now" and chances are good that a "from the scratch" project could take me months to complete). I´m more looking for a built amp that lets you all room for modification.

neopac

?? The only difference a kit would provide you over what AMB offers is a single source to by the parts from. It really is not that much harder to order the parts from Mouser or Digikey. If you do a standard build the case work is pretty easy on the M^3 and you can opt not to build a PSU and just get a wallwart until you decide to upgrade the PSU later.

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 17
miniMAX ($220) or PPA might be good options..

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by neopac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(mostly because i want a desktop amp "right now" and chances are good that a "from the scratch" project could take me months to complete). I´m more looking for a built amp that lets you all room for modification.

Good luck with that. Most amps that specifically promote modding only come as 'from scratch' products.

Closest I can think of it the MiniMax kit.

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy
Good luck with that. Most amps that specifically promote modding only come as 'from scratch' products.

that´s the info i was looking for ... i think i´ll go for the amb m^3 then.

neopac

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #9 of 17
A little note about kits...you get a package with all the parts together. Which resistor is 100K ohms and which is 1 M ohms?

To me it has been better to order the parts and use the label they provide, and print on the parts package itself, to identify which parts go where.

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

To me it has been better to order the parts and use the label they provide, and print on the parts package itself, to identify which parts go where.

that´s a good point, but i know myself and i´m sure i´ll doublecheck any part i´d solder in it, lable or not ... so if brown-black-yellow, brown-black-green fails ... multimeter
wink.gif

neopac
P.S:tough i´ll have to work out how to read this vishay resistor

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeToad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A little note about kits...you get a package with all the parts together. Which resistor is 100K ohms and which is 1 M ohms?

The kits from GJA are very clearly labelled, if you ever get the chance to see how Jeff packs, I think you'd be quite impressed.
Before installing any resistor check the value with your DDM.

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The kits from GJA are very clearly labelled, if you ever get the chance to see how Jeff packs, I think you'd be quite impressed.
Before installing any resistor check the value with your DDM.

Really? The B22 kits I got from Jeff didn't have any label. Just a bunch of stuffs.

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? The B22 kits I got from Jeff didn't have any label. Just a bunch of stuffs.

This is how my Sigma22 kits arrived, from memory the Beta22 kits had separate bags for the resistors, clearly labelled by pen as to what was in each bag. The matched transistors were also clearly marked
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back