Looking for a decent non-IEM general PC use <$50 replacement for my JVCs
Jun 9, 2015 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jonfi

New Head-Fier
I've had my JVC HARX700 for over a year and a half now and while they've been amazing for everything from music to gaming (All on my desktop), the bit that connects the actual headphones themselves to the head band, that allows the headphones to swivel to fit on the ear - has broken*. On each ear. They still sound fine, but it's obviously a bit annoying and it's only a matter of time before the stress of the dangling headphones damages the wiring.

So I'm here looking for a replacement. My JVCs have been great over the years, however a few things have always just slightly bothered me:

• They make my ears so hot after 30+ minutes. And that leads to sweat, which leads to ... Gross padding, which is hard to clean.
  • There are just too many moving plastic parts in them - I've never liked that. It's not a deal breaker, but I've gone through several pairs of headphones / headsets in the past 5 years, and each time I moved to a new pair it was because of the plastic. I think this is due to how dry it is where I live, and how my head is slightly bigger than the average.
  • ...That's it, they're great headphones, I just wouldn't mind trying something new.

I'm not picky, as long as they're not IEM, have a 6'+ cable, fit into my PC, and are comfortable for hours on end I'll likely be happy with them. I mostly listen to 192kbit music (I know, I know...), and play games - so they don't need to be top tier, just sturdy and decent sounding.

Oh also - hi all :). I've been browsing head-fi off and on for a few years, in fact I bought my JVCs because of a guide written here, and build quality aside they were probably the best I've ever used. Oh yeah, I live in the US too - so ideally I'd like to order them from a US site.

* - I have yet to take them apart, however it looks like there was a plastic rod with a bigger end, that slotted into the headband portion that allowed them to swivel slightly from side to side. That rod has broken completely, and given how much stress is put on it - it doesn't look like super glue can fix it.

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 7
For your budget, Gemini HSR-1000.

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 7
Save a little more and get the Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 (very similar/uses same drivers). These headphones have been popular in professional work for a long time because of their durability. Later on, get some velour pads for them.

Jun 11, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 7
Save a little more and get the Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 (very similar/uses same drivers). These headphones have been popular in professional work for a long time because of their durability. Later on, get some velour pads for them.

Sadly my price limit is my limit for a reason, I can't go beyond it more than $5-10 at most, and even then I'd prefer not to. Thanks though

Jun 15, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the reply, but it sounds like it's not designed for big heads.

i have a big head and i have it. its ok

but the sound quality makes up for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back