Looking for a decent, closed, portable headphone (sub-100 preferred)
Nov 19, 2011 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sovelin

100+ Head-Fier
I own a DT770/80 with gel cups that I've had for 2 years now. It is my main headphone that I absolutely love! But just a week ago, I purchased the Asus Essence STX for my PC, and after listening to the 770 on those, I can never listen to them again on any other source. They just sound so bad from my iPhone now. Anyway, I need new headphones that need to meet a few requirements.

1) Portable - doesn't have to collapse, just gotta be smaller than my 770
2) Price - under $100
3) Power - Gotta be able to be powered from my iPhone (not rly interested in a portable amp considering I just bought a new sound card)
4) Comfort - I tried my brother's Sony XB500, and they feel awesome! But the sound quality kind of sucks
5) Closed - I'm usually using these in the library and can't have them leak out sound
6) No IEMs - It feels awkward putting them in my ear, they always fall out, and are never comfortable. I've tried a variety, including the panasonic zirconia.

I listen to a wide range of music (especially techno and often classical), but these don't have to sound amazing. I have my 770 at home for that. I got a chance to try out the Klipsh image ONE and they sounded great, but they are pretty pricey. I also got to try out the Sennheiser HD448, and thought they sounded terrible, and were not comfortable. I've tried AKG-240. They are semi-open, so no, but their sound signature was nightmarishly terrible. They made me hate every piece of music I listened to. I love the Beyer sound signature, but don't necessarily need the bass in these portable phones.

Thanks in advance for the help! Would like to be able to get something on black friday if possible, but not a must.

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 7
CALs (Creative Aurvana Live).

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 7
Reviews seem pretty good. I've heard it doesn't leak, but it doesn't isolate well (especially low frequency). Might be an issue if I'm studying in a cafe (which I do frequently). Also, I can only find them at $90, and every review I've read has people finding them at $60. Maybe the price just fluctuates a lot. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it drops.

Any other recommendations?

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Reviews seem pretty good. I've heard it doesn't leak, but it doesn't isolate well (especially low frequency). Might be an issue if I'm studying in a cafe (which I do frequently). Also, I can only find them at $90, and every review I've read has people finding them at $60. Maybe the price just fluctuates a lot. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it drops.
Any other recommendations?

The price on the CALs has gone up, a few months ago you could find them for $60 new.

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 7
Well, I pulled the trigger on the V6. From the reviews it seems like for the price they are excellent phones. Isolation is mediocre (but improves with the DT250 pads, which I'll get later), and it doesn't leak. Easily driven from an iPod and doesn't need an amp (unlike my 770 which sounds lifeless w/out an amp). And you really can't beat the price ($30 cheaper than the CAL). Sounds like a deal :) I'll let you guys know what I think of them after a few days of listening. Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back