Looking for a DAC/Controller for Headphones + Active Speakers?

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by Gdogg, Dec 28, 2017.
  1. Gdogg
    I recently upgraded from my G51 Logitech speakers to some Edifier R1280T speakers, for a more music focused setup.

However I am missing the convenience of the massive volume knob and headphone port that the Logitech system had.

I'm after a DAC of some sort that I can run my speakers off and control the volume of, as well as something I can plug my headphones into and they switch over automatically. Don't want to spend too much as the Edifiers were barely £90, so no point spent £200 on a DAC for them. It would be nice to have a better output from my computer, but the X-Fi soundblaster card has performed well enough so far.

I did look at the little FiiO E10K as it is USB powered and well priced, but it seems the line out at the rear can't be controlled by the volume knob. This isn't a total pain as the volume control on the Edifiers are within an arms reach, but it would be nice to have a volume control for all in one place.

I did find this DAC X6 (NOBSOUND?) unit that seems to be well regarded, but I don't know enough about it to tell whether its a good choice.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nobsound-H...8&qid=1514486050&sr=1-2&keywords=dac+nobsound

Thanks!