Looking for a DAC/AMP combo for laptop and HD595's
Feb 9, 2012 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

avaneeden

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am looking for a DAC/AMP combo to use on my laptop.   I find that the Laptop's output just does not have the power to properly drive my HD595's.   I don't want to spend a fortune, but dont want rubbish either.  Let's say around $150..am I aiming too low? Something portable would be a bonus.

Is there anything (NEW, mid to late 2011) out there worth while at that price range?

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 5
Fiio E17? 

Feb 10, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 5
Not terribly new, and slightly above your budget, but most people have good things to say about the Audinst HUD-MX1. Not too big either so you could bring it around with your laptop.
From headfonia:
Quote:
E17 versus Audinst HUD MX1
Tonally they are a bit similar with their dark and warm sound signature. Technically the E17 is very good, but the Audinst is still better, though the difference is now closer than it was compared to the E10. The Audinst has been a long time favorite of mine, due to its simple design, affordable price, and overall good sound quality. However, this time the E17 again shines due to the way it does midrange: full, clear and sweet (don’t we all love full, clear and sweet sounding midrange?). The Audinst’s midrange is not as bad as the E7 and the E9 (or both of them combined), but it’s still not as good as the E17 or the E10′s midrange.

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 5
Excellent, thank you for your feedback and info.
L3000.gif

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 5
I'm looking at the same stuff as you and both the E17 and MX1 are on my list.  Just to confuse you more, I'm also hearing great things about the ibasso D7...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back